Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the t-cases and put some 4.7s in, and got everything back together/oiled up. When I filled the cases I filled from the front shifter hole, and capped it when oil started draining from the fill plug. Pretty basic. Well it drives good, shifts good, but when I got back from a test run I checked the oil level again, and it started spilling out of the fill plug like it was WAY overfilled. The gear oil (85-140w) was super frothy/impregnated with air when it came out. So.... I'm assuming that the level in the first case was much higher than that of the second case when it started coming out of the fill plug (upon initial fill) and just didn't have time to equalize. But the way it was all frothy concerned me. Is this normal? I normally just use strictly 90w gear oil, downsides to using 85-140w? Probably overthinking it, ut thanks for any thoughts...

Last question: Third member studs are all broken off or bent to the point where they're about to break (on bottom 4 of thirds), so I bought bolts/washers/locks to replace so I wouldn't have to deal with it again (still have to easy-out broken ones). When I pull the studs to be replaced, I'm planning on just letting the oil drain out through them, blast some carb cleaner through the threads, and install the bolts with some locktite on them. That seems like it will be enough to seal them so they don't leak. What do you guys think? I figure I could also just put some RTV on the threads. Again, overthinking it, but thanks for your thoughts...

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, the oil draining out of the tcases I filled into a large water bottle so I could better inspect, and it took over an hour for all the air bubbles to leave the oil. Don't know if this is normal or not, just figured it's better to double check...

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you filled from the front case, it takes a long time to get from the front to the back case, so even though it might have started flowing out the drain plug, there could be a lot more up in the frotn sectiosn that hadn't made it through the bearings yet.

I just do the 1 qt front / 1.9 qt rear through the shifters, and its been ok for me.

On my front diamond, I have bolts for the bottom two, since there's no drain plug. I have locktite on them, no sealant, and no issues with seeping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
#1. dont know?
#2. trail gear sells a studd kit that dose that same thing, i wouldnt worry about it, just do it and locktite them

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, question #2 was stupid. But as far as the whole tcase/oil thing, still a little concerned. I don't want to fuck anything up, thinking maybe just drain it and put in 90w. Maybe even some Royal Purple:D

·
Registered
802 Posts
About 1 qt in the front case and 2 in the rear case, then I will let it settle overnight then drain out any if its a tad overfull.
And the foaming of the oil is most likely due to the cases being overfull. Drain down to the correct level and have fun.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so the 85-140w gear oil gets the PBB check off:D now i can go back to doing burnouts and sliding corners through my neighborhood to make sure everything's holding together before I get out into the desert:flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts