Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a project truck after selling mine over 2 years ago. Looking for suggestions on what I should get... budget as of now is $4100... Here are some requirements...

-4 or 6 cylinder, Fuel Injected
-Automatic (Manual if the price is significantly cheaper)
-4x4
-regular cab, maybe extended cab mid-sized truck

Wheeling will consist of mostly trails, heavily wooded areas, some mud, and it must be road worthy. Plans are the normal SAS with 35" to 37" tires, tube bed, the usual...

I mainly wanted a 4 cylinder 86+ Toyota Pickup/Tacoma (up to 2000 or so), but they are way too pricey in this area unless you want one with a blown motor, no title, and rust and they still want too much for it. I have been looking at some Chevy S-10s and GMC Sonomas that have been within my price range with 4.3 V6's and 4x4 that I really like. I don't know much about Ford Rangers so I haven't done too much research on those, but I am not completely opposed to buying one. No Jeeps, no SUV's. Suggestions? What years should I look for and stay away from of the makes and models I have listed?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Wait till you find the right deal on a toyota. You will be glad you did..there is plenty of cheap aftermarket support

·
Registered
153 Posts
It all comes down to finding a deal on something (dont just look for one truck that fits all your needs). Ask around, ask local off roading groups, ask family member, hell even ask people that have them in their yards.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm trying to be patient, but I've been known to jump the gun on a purchase. I would really rather stick with Toyota...

I also am considering buying a 2wd Tacoma/Pickup and converting it, either with a 4wd transmission and t-case or with the Inchworm adapter to a gear driven case. The up front cost would obviously be much lower and I'd be cutting off all of the IFS stuff off eventually but cost would go right back up with the 4x4 conversion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wait till you find the right deal on a toyota. You will be glad you did..there is plenty of cheap aftermarket support
This ^
The used market is great as well. Craigslist / eBay / pirate or local 4x4 sites always have great delas on parts. Yota guys are hoarders , get in with a few and you'll always have parts lined up when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This ^
The used market is great as well. Craigslist / eBay / pirate or local 4x4 sites always have great delas on parts. Yota guys are hoarders , get in with a few and you'll always have parts lined up when needed.
This is what I am trying to do. I will be spending more than I want up front with a Toyota, but it is what I really want. I looked at some S-10's/Sonomas and some Rangers but I can never bring myself to spend the money on one. The wait continues...

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
there is plenty of cheap aftermarket support
Yes and no

Parts for yotas cost 2-3x what they did years ago. Its a rollercoaster for price on them. 12 years ago cross over steering was 800. 5 years ago cross over was 299; a doubler or 4.7 kit would cost you 249. Now a doubler/4.7 is 499.

Really no savings cost over anything else this day and age. gears/lockers are all the same. the only adavantage is the availability of used parts. But thats to be said about everything now as the sport emerges/dies.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up picking up a 1995 Tacoma from a friend. Its got a bad 3.4 though, but I know that can be replaced and in the end still come out paying less than if I bought the same truck in running condition. I gave $1k for it. The body is in great shape with very minor dents and scratches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Good lookin round-eyed 1st gen you've got back there :smokin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts