Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some feedback on what would be the best tyres for a new moonbuggy we're building. The options are as follows:

1. 37" BFG Krawlers - Normal Compound (not red label)
2. 37"x13.5"x17 Bias Ply Mickey Thompson Claws - Drag Slick Compound
3. 39"x13.5"x17" Radial Interco IROKs

What would give the best performance in a moonbuggy. Note this vehicle will be competing in Australia in our WEROCK series.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Why not sticky Krawlers? I'm running the MT comp claw and they work OK, I'm not super impressed with them. I think the BFG is a better all around tire(or tyre, depending on your location :)) The IROK radial won't give you the sidewall protection that you'll need. JMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found the comp claws to be of a much stickier and softer compound than the Krawlers. I've used the Krawlers and spot for a vehicle running the comp claws and I've been more impressed with the claws. I just don't know if the bias ply claw will be a disadvantage in side slopes.

However, I've never had the opportunity to really look at the Iroks in action. Only ones I've seen here used on rock are 49" so they're not much of a comparison. How would the radials go? Would the radial design give enough stability for a tyre 39.5" tall? And what's their adhesion like to rock?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Even if you think the claws are stickier, why would you look at the blue label instead of the red label krawlers? That's like saying "The Swamper is a better mud tire than the BFG MT so I'm looking at the BFG AT instead"

edit: ok, being in Australia maybe you can't get red labels as easy as us competing in the states. Then I see your point

·
Registered
48 Posts
here in aus we only have 1 importer of krawlers and he has told us that although he has put in an order for the comp/red krawlers he wont hold his breath on getting them! so the next best options (available in australia ATM) seem to be either the 37" comp claws or the 39" iroc's or 40"procomp xtc's.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I'm sure you already thought of this but couldnt you get someone here to buy the red labels and ship them to you. It would probably be expensive but maybe you could get a couple sets and make some money back.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Like I said before, I'm running the comp claws. They are the softest compound I've ever seen in an offroad tire. However, you hit the nail on the head. They don't stick so well on side hills. I put some more grooves in the tread and it seemed to help some. The real test will be the comp coming up in Sept. It's my understanding that the comp claws are no longer being made. That might make your choice easier too. I wonder why BFG won't sell the stickys in Aus? Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I thought the comp claw program was canceled? Wasn't too long ago someone posted up on the board about maybe being able to get some for sale relativly cheap since they were no longer made, but the post has been deleted, at least I couldnt find it. Is MT still making comp claws?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The importers of the Mickey Thompsons here haven't suggested that they aren't still being made. If I went with this option, I would definately be cutting up the blocks for lateral traction. This is something that I've done to the boggers that I currently use on my trail vehicle.

As 1madengineer has already said the red label krawlers aren't available through our normal channels. And the comp claws definately appear to have the compound advantage over the blue label krawlers. IMHO

What are the Iroks actually like?

And what about the XTC compound procomps?

And lastly, how easy is it for you guys to get red label krawlers? Would a special shipment be out of the question?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The new Creepy Crawler from Maxxis is worth checking out as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hefty said:
The new Creepy Crawler from Maxxis is worth checking out as well.
I'm "testing" a set of these in about a week. There's a few running them here and although they never stand out, they appear to be a good sound tyre. I'm talking to the importers today about the possibility of getting a different compound and the avialability of the trepador. Would the std creepy crawler be grippier than a blue label krawler?

And personally I believe the trepador would be a better tyre if each alternate lug hadn't had the shoulder removed. This would produce something like interco's tsl but with only a 2 stage lug. I know that with my boggers, the shoulder is the grippiest part of the tyre when driving in rocks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
beebee said:
I'm "testing" a set of these in about a week. There's a few running them here and although they never stand out, they appear to be a good sound tyre. I'm talking to the importers today about the possibility of getting a different compound and the avialability of the trepador. Would the std creepy crawler be grippier than a blue label krawler?

And personally I believe the trepador would be a better tyre if each alternate lug hadn't had the shoulder removed. This would produce something like interco's tsl but with only a 2 stage lug. I know that with my boggers, the shoulder is the grippiest part of the tyre when driving in rocks.
A few of my friends compete in UROC with them and have ran Krawlers before. They like them better. Keep in mind, we are in the east coast in the U.S. where there is a great deal of mud as well as rock. They are definately something to look into.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
All I know is that f'ing Trepador gives me wood. They need to make a 40x20 in that bad boy for my unimog. :flipoff2: Heard any news on when they'll be coming out with those in some bigger sizes?

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Call BFG's race program at 1-800-722-3234. This is where US competitors order thier tires. I don't know if they will ship them to you, but I don't see why they wouldn't. Let them know you are running We-Rock Australia, and you guys may be able to set up a program if they realize how much interest is there.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
dukguy said:
All I know is that f'ing Trepador gives me wood. They need to make a 40x20 in that bad boy for my unimog. :flipoff2: Heard any news on when they'll be coming out with those in some bigger sizes?
The 40x13.50x17 Trepador, they are going to start that tire the end of this year...

I would expect it sometime next year.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
The XTC is very competitive against the blue label krawlers. If you can only get blue labels in Aus, then you'll find both perform very similar except the Pro Comp will hold a bead far better and will last about the same. A little siping on those XTC center lugs will give a big boost as there is a lot of surface area there.
I'm sure pricing will also have something to do with your choice...what'r they going for down there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the opinions.

I'll give BFG a call tomorrow.

I'm yet to hear a good report about the Iroks!

Pricing, although a significant factor, is not a compelling enough reason to run anything other than the best tyres I can get my hands on. Our importer of BFG is one of my existing sponsors (for previous vehicle) and is very supportive and would probably cough up blue label krawlers for very little if anything at all. Mickey Thompson have their positions (for sponsored teams) filled for this year but I'd be backing myself for an offer next year. Procomp are considering my proposal at the moment and I'll be contacting our Maxxis importer tomorrow. So as you can see, the support is there, but I just want to make the right choice. There is also a lot to be said for paying up the $$ and not having the responsibilities of sponsors! There's already enough pressure in competition without any extra....

So back on topic... What are the std compound maxxis like compared to say a nice sticky comp claw?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts