Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of Toyota ubolts? I need to have some made but need the #'s. My rear axle is an 83 and the front is an 81. But those two are the same width, right? It's for a samurai with YJ springs if that matters. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Measure diameter of axle, that will be the width. Measure from bottom of axle tube to where the bolt should end, at least an inch above the spring plate, that's your height.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When you do measure the length, I dont know if it is standard but The spring shop I go to measures along the outside of the U-bolt to the tip, not just straight up from the bottom of the axle tube.

So of course they made them 2" too short and I had to take my overload leaf out. :rolleyes: Sits lower now though. :D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
over an inch. 63" Chevy

OK maybe it was an inch too short.:D

Turned out the new center pins I picked up were too short too.
So either way they were coming out.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I have some u-bolt specs below:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#References

I think I run 5/8x3x9.25 bolts in back on the wider rear axle housing, just long enough to clear a 9 leaf Alcan spring plus shims, etc. The pre-86 narrow rear housing has smaller OD tubes, forget if they are 2.5" or 2.75". In front I run 5/8x3.25x8.75" round bottom u-bolts, maybe one longer one in the inner passenger side.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's a part number for some round rancho u-bolts I recently got in exchange for my arm (kinda expensive-a local spring shop will be able to give you cheaper ones-try Dentoni Spring works if you're in the Sacramento area): RS17493, they are 9/16x2.81x7.5 and will accomodate my 9 leaf rear pack + pinion shim. When I measured for my square ones I just measured how long my stock ones were, then measured the new spring pack thickness, compared it with the old spring thickness and added thusly.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
gferris5 said:
Here's a part number for some round rancho u-bolts I recently got in exchange for my arm (kinda expensive-a local spring shop will be able to give you cheaper ones-try Dentoni Spring works if you're in the Sacramento area): RS17493, they are 9/16x2.81x7.5 and will accomodate my 9 leaf rear pack + pinion shim.
While the Rancho bolts are about 2X the price, I find they last and last. The threads don't seem to wear out and strip like so many other bolts I've run. I've been running my front Rancho u-bolts for nearly 5 years, probably removed/installed/retorqued 15 times at least and no signs of them wearing out. Likely running the 5/8" bolt helps as well, they are rated for up to 350 ft.lbs. torque, so only cranking them down to around 110 ft.lbs. they are hardly being being stresssed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts