Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size u-bolts are you guys running on FZJ80 rear ends? I got one ready to swap into a leaf sprung rig and the tube measures 3.17" with my calipers, which is a hair over 3-1/8" (this is after I ground the factory mounts off and smoothed out the welds where the perches will be). My googling showed me people running 3-1/4" u-bolts, but just for kicks I measured my 8" taco rear end and it's tubes are--you guessed it--3.17". But you know what? Every u-bolt kit for a Tacoma comes with 3" u-bolts, and I've been running 3" u-bolts on that axle for 3 years now. 3-1/8" seems like a better idea, but a lot of shops don't even sell 3-1/8", and a lot of Dana 60 kits come with 3-1/4" u-bolts even if they have 3-1/8" tubes. SO, before I make a bigger mountain out of this molehill, let me just clarify a) I'm going cold turkey on coffee atm, and b) I don't want to rip out my rear-end towing a 5,000lb trailer up a mountain pass in the desert on the way to go wheeling.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
3", or 3.125", or 3.25" will work fine. When you torque the u-bolt down, it'll conform to the axle tube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I ordered a perch/plate/bolt kit for 3.25" tubes. I figured that with the factory truss, the curvature of the bottom of the tube is more like a 3.25-3.5" anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts