Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use these yet? How they work? I got 2 and a half inch springs spring over.The kid before me didn't cut and turn. Did a cut and turn before and not looking to do one again.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Fuck!!

There is no magic u-joint that will eliminate the need for a cut and turn. Quit fuckin' around and trying to cut corners and just do it right. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yes, I have bought U-joints from High Angle -- Jesse was very nice --

But the ones I got were just like the ones at the parts store :flipoff2:

Maybe if you told us which u-joint you were talking about.......

DAMN! Mechanos!!! I was totally in with the 1st slap down -- but then my wife called and I was trying to listen and say "yes, dear" and type with the other hand.... But it took me too long...!

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
You have the same setup I have. Like Mechanos said and others have said many many times. There are no magic U joints that will fix bad driveline angles. Go ahead and spend $70 bucks and find out the hard way. With that much lift and no pinion corection your rig will eat U joints for breakfast.:shaking: So for christ sakes do the cut and turn and be done

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Why not just skip suspension and use 4x4x.0120 box tubing for lift and the shaft? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
ahhhh, Pirate at its best. Smack-Down and tech all at the same time....

brings back the old days.

Do it right, cut-n-turn then use a proper driveshaft that fits your intended application. Off-set u-joints are band-aid for improper engineering, or extreme cases.... right now you have the former.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
so what angle are you guys using?

I've built a few rigs with angles from 0-8 and I need to do my current one..

the higher one tracked well but seemed to eat tires, and with less it wandered..

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Dont listen to Creed's back-up singer :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
there on www.anythingscout.com, go to Differential and Axle. And they are the U joint - High Angle driveline for 70 bucks
Thats a Tom Wood's joint. I running one at the transfer case as mine was binding at full droop, and that fixed it. I also put on a deeper yoke on the pumpkin side for more angle. Since then I move the engine back a few inches.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=219&rn=1300&action=show_detail

I never did do a cutNturn on my D60, but they come with about 18 degrees. so I still have 5-6 degrees caster and 12-13 degrees up to the T-case.

On a scout 44 you need to do a cutNturn to fix the caster or it will drive like crap

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
so what angle are you guys using?

I've built a few rigs with angles from 0-8 and I need to do my current one..

the higher one tracked well but seemed to eat tires, and with less it wandered..

I am at 6* but wouldn't be able to tell you how it does as it hasn't seen the road yet much less a trail:flipoff2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
i don't have an SOA, but with extended shackles and 4" lift springs still had enough bind on the Ujoint that the front shaft needed some relief. i did get the tom woods superflex joint for now. sucks at any speed over 25mph, but tom makes that perfectly clear before you buy em. works well off road and will get me thru till i either end up with SOA or at least a double cardan driveshaft.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
i don't have an SOA, but with extended shackles and 4" lift springs still had enough bind on the Ujoint that the front shaft needed some relief. i did get the tom woods superflex joint for now. sucks at any speed over 25mph, but tom makes that perfectly clear before you buy em. works well off road and will get me thru till i either end up with SOA or at least a double cardan driveshaft.
got shims?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am also rocking one of these at the front t case output as mine also bound at full droop. So far so good. I am running a chevy full width 44 front in its OEM SOA form. Also Trail master 3" front springs.

I am now planning a 3 link front and coils so I will most likely move the axle forward a little. If anyone needs some 3" front lift springs I need to sell mine and they are practically new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no shims.

whadja hafta do to swap in the chebby 44? rework passenger side perch? relocate drivers side? i'm thinkin' about doin' this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts