Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted the dissassembly of my "spare" front d-shaft because mine has a really bad u-joint (this is irony). Anyway, I ended up breaking a couple of the caps trying to get it off (I started with vise and hammer and moved to larger hammers and finally a 20 ton press).

If I were to actually expend the time... is it worth it to cut the joints out with a torch and press the remaining caps out. More specifically, is it going to cost me the price of a new d-shaft to get replacement parts? Parts as is 3 new joints with caps...

This has got to be one of the most frustrating and irritating things I have done to any vehicle in a couple months!

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Originally posted by Entropy:
<STRONG> is it going to cost me the price of a new d-shaft to get replacement parts? Parts as is 3 new joints with caps...</STRONG>
It shouldn't. Local d'shaft shop sells the Spicer U-joints for about $36 (IIRC) and a cheaper US made brand for about $26. R&R is about $12 if you bring in the shaft. The CV joint is much higher if you buy the unit.

I installed a Auto-Zone joint (made in China) and it lasted about 3 weeks on daily driver.

My experience is its essentially IMPOSSIBLE to R&R one of these ujoints with BFH; you gotta use a press. Youll beat the doooo out of the old one getting it out, possibly damaging the yoke, then beat more doooo out of the new one getting it in, possibly destroying it.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I use a piece of metal with a hole in it larger than the end cap to sit the end of the d-shaft on, take the clips out (inside, have seen people not do this, also take out grease fitting), and use a socket a hair smaller than the u-joint cap to knock them out with. After I knock out on side, I flip it over and use a solid metal rod to knock the other side out (if not reusing). They still are a pain in the @ss though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts