Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, if any of you guys want to duplicate real Texas slow smoking on the cheap here it is.........

My nephew got into this a few months ago.......Ugly Drum Smoker (google it) lots of aficionado's out there, I was very skeptical, until I ate some of the stuff he cooked in here.......so I borrowed his, loaded it with 8 lb back of lump hickory mixed with same size bag of hickory chunks......the beauty of this thing is ya use fuel that is readily available at most large grocery stores.....you load the basket in the bottom, start 1/2 of a chimney with charcoal, get it gong then dump it on top, it burns from the top down, and this ran for around 18 hrs on this load.....we have the firebox at the bottom, then a diffuser with a water pan then 2 grates.......I am a fan.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Get yourself a webber lid and you can double rack it.
Longest ive done in mine is 22hrs and I still had coals left over.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I've been wanting to build one of these for a while now. I managed to find places online where you can buy Weber parts, but noone sold just the lid. They apparently hold their value too because when I find Webers on Craigslist, they still want a fair amount for them.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
So I am finding food grade 55 gallon drums on Craigs list for about $20 all day long complete with lids. I always have a HUGE superbowl nlowout every year with about 50+ people, so this year I was hoping ot build a smoker and smoke up some ribs as well as all sorts of tritip. So how does one go about uilding one of these smokers?

Here is what I have gathered so far:
I need to build a basket on the bottom of the drum that sits up off the floor
I need 3 check valves in the side of the drum at the bottom for air
I have to ubild 2 cooking trays into the drum (I can weld little brackets into the smoker that will hold up the shelves)
I need one thermometer that can tell me how hot the smoke is inside

What else do I need. Also, are tehre any directions online on how to build this?

Thanks
Dima

1 - 9 of 9 Posts