Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been emailing a lady at Uhaul asking about the "service" trucks.

So far I've asked if they are built in-house or who makes them, what they are designed to carry, how much weight, etc. Anyone got any other ideas about stuff I should ask? I'll post when I get a response for the questions I just asked, hopefully tomorrow....
I mentioned hauling Jeeps was my interest....

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I don't think that would be very good for hauling normal vehicles, let alone a lifted Jeep. The COG would be way high and I bet it would feel very sketchy to drive.
Travis..

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I dont think these are built for the weight of a Heep, plus the REALLY HIGH center of gravity factor. Seems like the start of a bad idea to me.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's why I'm asking questions about weight capacity and such. Personally the higher COG is a non-issue for me if you saw the work truck I drive everyday. This is basically a spinoff of the deleted "certain type of hauler" thread.....

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That type of rack would be bitchin' over an MDT chassis.

Look for a car hauler tractor.
That's what I drive :laughing:

Here's the response:

"
The cab & chassis are either built by Ford or GMC. **Our manufacturing plants will build the completed unit with the boxes and ramps. *

The ramps are ONLY designed to transport U-Haul Trailers. *I am not sure what the weight capacity is, but I believe the rig can hold 2 AVs or 3 tow dollyes and then tow something behind as well. *The ramps were not designed for a 2 axle vehicle due to center of gravity. *Any 2 axle vehicles can be towed behind though!

Our AFM rigs (the vehicles with the ramps & boxes), range from:

1988 - 1990 Ford F450
1990 International 4600
1994 GMC Sierra C3500
1995 Ford F450
1990 Ford F550

If you purchase *used U-Haul equipment, we'd be interested to hear how you modified the rig to haul your 2 jeeps!"

I would one be hauling one and towing the other...

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
they have one just like the pic for sale asking $3800.....they also have a couple in the International 4000 Series 4600 (direct C&P) flavour coming for sale soon...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i would think 2 jeeps would overload any of the choices, other than *maybe* the IH

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
An International 4600 could easily carry two jeeps, even above the cab (although I don't think that's a good idea generally). You might be able to get 2 on an F550 if you just had a lightweight ramp bed and it was closer to 19k GVWR.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only plan on hauling my ZJ, the other Jeep will be either flat-towed, dollied, or trailered.....not carrying both

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only plan on hauling my ZJ, the other Jeep will be either flat-towed, dollied, or trailered.....not carrying both
my main concern is the MTO. It may be fine but our legal limits are much lower usually than the americans have and being in London I'm sure you've seen the MTO stops where they find ANYTHING Wrong with your vehicle just to be douche bags.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually, thankfully I haven't seen that in awhile...

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see an issue with it...

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
oh...did anyone know the specs of that red chevy ramp/service truck like truck from the deleted thread? Just curious.....

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's awesome...even has a wheel lift. Too bad it's so far away, I'd love to see it in person and find out if/who makes the rack.....

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
awesome...

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
That chevy is a crew cab too, very :grinpimp: It does, however, look to be a typical ramp truck with an over-cab addition to fit longer cars than would normally fit?
Travis..

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I see it spelled "wench" more often than "winch". It's pretty damn sad. If you're trying to find a used winch for sale on the internet you'll get twice as many results if you spell it wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts