Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a material to make a bikini top for my CJ7. It will mount to the 6 pt cage. I'm moving to Hawaii so a hard bikini top should be perfect and help strengthen the cage and protect my head. From some other posts I looked into UHMW polyethylene which I think will work well. I don't want much weight up that high and aluminum will corrode. The interstateplastics website says that the UHMW isn't UV stabilized. Will this really make a difference? Also how thick a sheet would I need? I'd think 1/4" would be plenty. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller......

Come on, somebody has to have know something about this stuff. Some people are using 1/2" pieces for skid plates. Its the cutting board like stuff. Anyone????

·
thhhpptthh!
46,772 Posts
newt said:
...........and help strengthen the cage.........
if you need to strengthen your cage using 1/4" plastic i think you have worse things to worry about.

Just buy some tinted lexan and rivet it up there .........

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those of you following along at home:

1/4" UHMW = $155
1/4" HDPE = $115

The rigid bikini top will help with the strength of the cage, but that's only an added bonus not the reason behind my design. It will also keep the pointy stuff from reaching between the tubes and poking me in my head and will keep the rain and sun off of me as well.

Toby [aka mrtwstr] build the cage (and a very nice one too).

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
newt said:

The rigid bikini top will help with the strength of the cage, but that's only an added bonus not the reason behind my design.
I'm still not following. How again is this going to strengthen the cage??:confused: :confused:

Get a sheet of stainless and mount it up there...

Strengthen the cage... That one has STILL got me. All your other points I can see, but help with cage strength....
...walking off mumbling and confused....

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
newt said:

1/4" UHMW = $155
1/4" HDPE = $115

The rigid bikini top will help with the strength of the cage, but that's only an added bonus not the reason behind my design. It will also keep the pointy stuff from reaching between the tubes and poking me in my head and will keep the rain and sun off of me as well.

Toby [aka mrtwstr] build the cage (and a very nice one too).

:flipoff2:
Go to McMaster Carr for what I think is better pricing

http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for page 3278

Will it make the cage significantly stronger, no.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why not go with some form of UV resistant cloth? 1) It is going to be better looking, 2) its going to be easier to work with and 3) I think you overestimate the "rigidity and protection that will be provided by the plastic. Just my thought

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Mounted correctly it WILL add some strength. Why just toss something up there and just gain shade. Noobs is getting form and somefunction, which may be confusing some of you:flipoff2: Also the FDA won't have issues with food on his UHMW roof:p

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
call interstate plastics in sacramento..that would be the place to get it...we get up to 4" X 12" X 12" blocks from there....but i know you can get sheets larger or smaller or what ever you want:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts