Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not a yota guy but two of my brothers are. I'm doing maintenance on an 04 tacoma. I've done jeep ujoints before in a vise. These were damn near seized in. Had to put it in my 20T press and it required A LOT of pressure. Then of course the loud bang when they let go and all my spacers get shaken off the press frame.

New ones are going in easy enough but only about halfway. I've broken two caps so far on two different joints in two different locations. One busted proper and one went in after a pop and I found the face of cap had cracked.

Why are these things so hard.. too hard obviously or they wouldn't break. Shouldn't they press in easily enough with a vise just like any other joint???

And yes, the circlips are out

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you had that yoke in a 20 ton press then they are probably bent. Happens a lot. If they are bent in, then the caps will bind going in. Check the allignment. You may need to take a hammer to the yoke to spread it out a little. Clean up the inside surfaces, use a little grease on the caps and then try it

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a measurement on the ears I can check? I can't tell by eye. I did notice when taking apart that in stead of being able to take one cap off and slip the joint in with the other still on I can't. Both caps gotta be off.

How the heck do I go about spreading them back out. I don't see much in the way of how'd that go about

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have a measurement, but my rule of thumb is to hold the U joint up to the side of it and eye ball it. You will be able to see it easily

·
Registered
78 Posts
Put the clips on the cups and cups on trunion then use it as a gauge in between the yoke ears, test it in multiple spots and see if it fits everywhere evenly. If she no fit then your yoke is bent inwards. Too much clearance it's either bent outwards or a rubbish u joint.

Note the clip groove is wider than the clip so you will have to push them both towards the center to create the correct size gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts