Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have a little updates on some things.

First..........Lance came through for me and allowed me to post each of these PDFs on the pirate site. They can all be found at:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/d1/tech/4link/

Second........I'm still not sure what Wanderwillys is looking for, but I will wait for his reply.

Third......I did some "if you can't amazing 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit" today and did two animated gifs of the rear during articulation. The first one "4link-both.gif" is a shot of the rear flexing when one side travels up and one side travels down (equally). They start at ground level and travel up to 15" per side. The second one "4link-psonly-animated.gif" (nice title huh?) is a shot with just the passenger's side flexing upwards 20". The link setup is a 4 link, double triangulated with the uppers and lowers nearly parallel to one another and AS about 62%, roll axis at 5.3 degrees. Rear steer is 4.1 degrees in the one where one side drops down while the other goes up.

Interesting thing about these is that one has rear steer to the right while the other rear steers to the left. If you think about the static position of the arms (slightly angled up) and how that effects the arcs that are swung, it sort of makes sense. But makes you go hhhmmmmmm.

Take a look and get back to me. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
four_by_nut,

I know your covered up. this thread has made alot of people
think about what they're doing. If you have time would you try an
"A" link? top of the "A" 4" under yoke of TC. in a johnny.legs of "A" mounted to spring pads solid. then track bar mounted apx 2" inside pads and level apx 8" above centerline of axle. I already know it moves side to side alot because of the track bar.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
rocraven said:
four_by_nut,

I know your covered up. this thread has made alot of people
think about what they're doing. If you have time would you try an
"A" link? top of the "A" 4" under yoke of TC. in a johnny.legs of "A" mounted to spring pads solid. then track bar mounted apx 2" inside pads and level apx 8" above centerline of axle. I already know it moves side to side alot because of the track bar.
I would, but the model does not have provisions for what a trackbar/panhard bar would do to the action. I have simply set it up for 4 link (and some 3 link) setups.

I do intend to extrapolate this to the front end where I expect to have it set up for use with a tracbar/panhard bar. But for now, it is limited to setups that don't include this feature.

Sorry.

And...........yes...........where IS GFI on this one? He must be out cutting and welding on his 4 link setup. :D Or just hasn't got much to add. Who knows.

·
Registered
657 Posts
four_by_nut said:
Second........I'm still not sure what Wanderwillys is looking for, but I will wait for his reply.
Sorry I took a while - things have been kinda crazy around here - you first thought about frame link placement is correct (all the links at the frame are in the same plane horizontal and vertical)- but the AS value does not have to be super high - especially if the crossmember is not much higher than the axle mounts and the links are long...

Here are the two crude drawings of what I was envisioning - anyone think of the benefits of doing one over the other...

Thanks

Matt
MS Paint to the rescue! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm no suspension guru by any means, but if the links are mounted all along a single line like that, wont it totally screw with your antisquat?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It seems to me that the number you are getting for antisquat are too low in that I am aiming for somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 such that more force is applied to the tires. I'm wondering on the 3 link if I just put the links closer together at the chassi end if that would increase the antisquat right? Thanks again.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Heavy Metal Toy said:
I'm no suspension guru by any means, but if the links are mounted all along a single line like that, wont it totally screw with your antisquat?
Not at all - you are just making the IC become the link mounts at the frame instead of some imaginary point off in space

Anti - squat is just a measure of how much force the "lever arm" of the links applies to the center of gravity of the vehicle (a little simplified but pretty close)

With converging links that are seperated at the frame you still have an IC but if is farther foward than in my example... The usual downside to the setups I drew is very high anti-squat numbers because the axle is usually quite a bit lower than the frame - angling the links upwards and making the roll center height over the front axle much higher than the COG...

If the links are kept very flat - run real big tires with very little suspension lift on a narrow body; AKA: tube buggy - the roll center is also very flat - making the height of the roll center plane at the front axle much lower (possible even lower than the COG depending on the exact measurements)

Make more sense???

Matt

·
Registered
124 Posts
sorry to be a newbie and bring up an old post but i can't bring up
the pdf files.do you need a special program to get them,if so where can i download it?like i said sorry if this a stupid post:confused:

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
I think this is the same one that tri ag (ok so it's somewhat close to the user name) has on pirate here

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Holy fawk...

Where do you think xtreme got their 4-link calc? Hint: search general 4x4.. :shaking:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Old thread but newbie here just seen it. Thank you four x nut for your time and posting this thread. Wanted to ask,, Is there a pdf like this one posted anywhere for the front?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts