Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I live in Colorado and one of the things that i have really enjoyed doing is helping people get there vehicles unstuck whenever it snows here( for free). I currently drive a 2016 F150 ecoboost (so no winch :( ) as my daily driver but I am looking to build a separate rig solely for off snow recovery as I don't want to mess up my daily driver.

I am just curious what more seasoned 4x4 enthusiast on this website would choose for snow recovery. most of the time I have been pulling people out of situations pretty tame where the slid slightly off the road but I would like to be able to pull out people that slide off the interstate down small hills. I plan on having a lawyer drawing up a hold harmless form to have people sign off on the recovery in the future as well to cover my butt.

What you be your ideal street legal recovery rig and how would you build it?

I have a bit of an attention problem so my mind as gone from 78-96 broncos, CJ7s, old suburbans you name it I have probably considered it. I am hoping we can have a little fun with so let your imaginations run wild!

Thank in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have a lot more experience in this than me(we got four inches of snow last winter in Virginia).

I'd be looking for a larger vehicle, such as a Suburban or full-size truck. It seems to me it would be more stable for winching and pulling. A fully enclosed vehicle like a Suburban would be very handy for keeping the gear, tow straps, etc, out of the weather. The correct tires will be most important. Suspension upgrades won't matter much, other than to clear the tires. Differential locks would be critical too. Very good lighting will be appreciated. Include a tow-truck-style flashing yellow light for while you're stopped beside the road helping someone. Turn that light off for general cruising! Heated mirrors and a rear window defroster will be handy. If you're using LED lighting, you may need to make some provision to keep snow off the lights, since it won't melt off in the usual fashion.

I'd build the truck as a dual purpose. Snow rescue, and summertime overlanding. The same vehicle should do well at both tasks.

Edit to add: Visibility would be very important to me, as well. A Suburban or passenger van would excel in this, as long as you don't obscure the windows by piling cargo too high. A typical pickup with a truck-bed-cap has much less rearward visibility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts