Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have all the parts I need for the scribe setup for my cnc table! So far, I'm under $200 for the whole setup (even factoring in the stuff I had free).

Got the pneumatic slide for $30 shipped on ebay
Sioux Air Engraving Pen $92 shipped on Amazon
Festo VPLE18-M5H-4/2-1/4 valve (Had this, but cost would be $70ish)
Hand full of 1/4in airline fittings and air line
2 cheap regulators
12volt power supply from an old external hard drive I had laying around.

The Pen just came in today, so I haven't had a chance to test it out on the table, but as soon as I get a free weekend I will build the mount for the pen on the slide and get it all bolted up and test it out.

scribe setup.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Just a bit cheaper :smokin:

Looking forward to this build and testing.

Have you seen anyone else use the engrving pen you got on a CNC setup ?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The pen was recommended in this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053799

Sioux is the company that makes the Snap-On/Bluepoint pens, so I'm not too concerned! I don't plan on using the table/scribe as a business, so I wont be using it as much as some people do, so for my purposes, it should be more than what I need. Time will tell.

The nice thing about the 4-way valve I'm using, is when the power from the output on the table is turned off, it will automatically raise the slide, I don't need a spring to return it!

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Isnt that a rotary style engraver?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Subscribed. I will be watching this one, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Once you get this up and running, can you post up how you get this to work in Mach3?

I'm building my own table and want to add a scribe. Do you have a table build thread going?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No build thread on the table, I bought a full Bulltear table setup. I will be posting a full review once I get it up and everything working though!!

I have the scribe setup on output2 in Mach (Bulltear installed the second output) and can tuen it on manually from the Mach screen. I just need to figure out where in SheetCAM to tell it that output2 is where to find the scribe.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just finished machining the mount for the scribe to bolt it to the slide today. As soon as i get my z-axis back from being upgraded, ill get if mounted and start testing it out

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Interested to see how this works out.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I've bought nearly everything to build my CNC Table - just waiting on my Rails to get here and I can start assembling. I'll start a build thread - just want to pass the word that these are WAAAY Cheap to build. I'll try to total up parts and so on to give everyone else the incentive to build their own rather than getting raped by the table suppliers out there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the mount for the scribe, turned out really nice! Now I just have to figure out how to get SheetCAM and Mach3 to talk to each other so it turns on the right output on my CNC control box when I want it to. Once my z-axis comes back, I will get it mounted up and get pictures of that.

scribe setup 2.jpg

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
MP1000 - scriber post should do it

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MP1000 - scriber post should do it
Did a little testing without the z-axis installed.

Got the scribe working, except the z-axis motor is still moving when the scribe is on, how do I lock that at 1in when the scribe is working?

Also, now the system is turning on the scribe even when I'm just trying to turn on the plasma, wondering if I messed something up in the ports/pins when I was checking the setup.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the awesome new magnetic breakaway torch holder setup from Bulltear installed last night, hoping to get the scribe mounted to it and working this weekend, I will post pictires and video as soon as I can! I can't wait to see it work!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts