Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new so say what is needed.......I have searched for hours and need some help.
I want to put unimog axles on a 76 CJ-5 and have questions about the front axle of a unimog being a driver side drop and the CJ-5 being a passenger side drop. What I am tring to find out is what do I need to do to either swap the Jeep or if I need to find a way to swap the axle to a passenger side drop. I belive that they make a conversion kit for them for four wheel steering. Or is this just as easy as getting a driver side drop t-case.
Any help would be nice. :confused: :jeep:

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Edit: What year tranny/tcase?

The D300s have an easier time because of the round SAE pattern, your D20 will have a hard time with it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well I personally say unless you wanna spend alot of time and money forget 404s or really anything with portals.

Your frame will not easily support the stresses that the link suspension will place apon it.

Leaf springs will get shreaded by the leverage the portal give the housing to twist.

So expect a new chassis and link suspensions front and rear, if that isn't in your plan forget about mog axles.

Sure you can plate the chassis and build a couple of 4 links but if the offset of the input is a major concern to you I doubt your up for solving those issues.

I know you didn't wanna hear that though, but it is my opinion.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What engine/tranny/Tcase do you have? It should be as easy as swapping to a combo that allows for a drivers side drop Tcase. The CJ5 is short. what are your suspention and wheel base plans? I'd think a very simple and easy solution would be to run leafs under the mogs (if cheap and easy is your goal).

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Perhaps it is an good idea to post the same thread in the Mercedes-Forum. There are a lot of guys who can help you.
Some of them has build mog axles into their rigs also CJs.

If your project is serious and not a "Schnapsidee" then you have to spend a lot of work and money. But in the end its one of the best choices.

Good luck. Post some pics when ready !

Bengt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I want to do but after much thought I might not do this. That might be to much money and time to do. But if I do do this I think I will be happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AUR-JX20 said:
Perhaps it is an good idea to post the same thread in the Mercedes-Forum. There are a lot of guys who can help you.
Some of them has build mog axles into their rigs also CJs.

If your project is serious and not a "Schnapsidee" then you have to spend a lot of work and money. But in the end its one of the best choices.

Good luck. Post some pics when ready !

Bengt
Not even 6 PM in Texas and I have to read about Schnaps? Schoenen Feierabend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts