Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year during the main race we watched the race turn into a parking lot on Sledge (or whichever trail) and got bored with that after awhile and bailed. This year we want to catch some high speed action along with some gnarly crawling too. I was thinking of finding a spot not too far from the start so that we can catch most of the rigs come by instead of waiting so long only to see a few cars come by. Obviously abiding by the race course rules so we don't become an obstacle..
Any suggestions on a good viewing location?
Yes I know about the jumbotron but if I wanted to watch it on tv I'd stay home.
We're also bringing our rigs this year and want to hit some trails so any advice there would be cool as to what would be some good trails to hit and stay out of the way of the prerunning. Typical rigs, locked up on 37s.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Until course map out probably impossible to say for certain, but as has been discussed before there are limited ways in and out of HT that can be properly controlled by HK so looking at prior maps should give you rough idea of somewhere not too far from HT. Perhaps out toward Melville maybe or all the way out by Pit 1.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Best seat in the house that I have had for the last 2 years is volunteering. Gets you great access and usually you get to hear opps and whats going on around the race. The thread is just above or below this thread. Other than that I usually tell people the jumbotron is where its at. If not there then get up early get some good seats well off the course and bring a nice set of binoculars to watch the high speed stuff with. I can't think of a spot that gets you views of both crawling and high speed stuff with out binoculars.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what's Plan B if El Nino turns the lakebed into a lake? If it hasn't already? Is this a rain or shine event?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
So what's Plan B if El Nino turns the lakebed into a lake? If it hasn't already? Is this a rain or shine event?
Some rain is great...to much too fast is bad. It is rain or shine. If you are camping get to the highest ground you can. Flash flooding is no joking matter.

Edit- I'm more worried about the 26 earthquakes over the last 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Best seat in the house that I have had for the last 2 years is volunteering. Gets you great access and usually you get to hear opps and whats going on around the race. The thread is just above or below this thread. Other than that I usually tell people the jumbotron is where its at. If not there then get up early get some good seats well off the course and bring a nice set of binoculars to watch the high speed stuff with. I can't think of a spot that gets you views of both crawling and high speed stuff with out binoculars.
Thanks for the plug for volunteering!! You are right, it's definitely the best seat in the house!! I've seen some amazing stuff and had some crazy experiences over the years volunteering.

If anyone is interested the link to the thread is in my sig, or just email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you guys that have been before think about taking a 45' Prevost bus and camping out away from HT? Will I be able to get in and out without getting stuck?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
45 Prevost Bus getting stuck?
Stuck In traffic Saturday morning when a lot of people leave?
Stuck in sand when you get too far from HT?
Stuck in the mud if it pours rain?
Stuck in the desert when you high center it on a mound of dirt?
Stuck paying for the interior cleaning to get all the dust out?
Stuck with the fuel/rental fee when your buddys bail on you?
Stuck has many meaning!
JB

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
What do you guys that have been before think about taking a 45' Prevost bus and camping out away from HT? Will I be able to get in and out without getting stuck?
You will be fine taking that coach out, the earlier the better as flattest areas will be taken, don't pass Boone road and try to do a U turn or don't try to take it off road. Best area is right past bridge on left

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was curious about that also last year it was a mess down in the pits .Do they have another option for the pit location and Hammertown ?
Should probably let somebody from HK answer, but realistically no. First, you need a clear, relatively flat area of decent size that's easily accessible to both crowds and to large vehicles. Second, you have to design a race course months in advance that works around that location. Third, you have to get BLM approval of the whole plan months in advance. Fourth, you have to start setting up that location weeks in advance of the event. Fifth, . . . Sixth, . . . Etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply I just didn't know if they had an idea of maybe moving it closer to 247 up on higher ground. Guess we will find out once they post the construction pictures. Thanks again have a safe week out there if your going .

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the reply I just didn't know if they had an idea of maybe moving it closer to 247 up on higher ground.
A lot of that higher ground on the way in is private land. For instance, I think where everybody camps just over the bridge is still not public land. The public land doesn't start till a little ways farther down Boone Rd toward the lakebed.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Thanks for the reply I just didn't know if they had an idea of maybe moving it closer to 247 up on higher ground. Guess we will find out once they post the construction pictures. Thanks again have a safe week out there if your going .
Just got off the lakebed where I was helping to survey Hammertown, it's in the same place as always. :bounce2:

·
Meet me at the bar
1,166 Posts
Get a race map and explore the course early. There are some hidden gems for spectators with good action. This will be our 5th year and we have our favorites all accessible with a stock Grand Cherokee and just a few minutes from Hammertown. Also ask the race teams where they are seeing the most action during prerunning, that is how we found our favorite spot

·
Registered
337 Posts
Trying to help my father in law find some good views for the main event. He will be with a couple friends, they range from 65-70 years of age and are all still good a getting around as far as hiking goes. I sent him the link for the course maps so he can down load one. I gave him a couple spots to look for, back door, sledge hammer, chocolate thunder. I would like to give him some more options to look for on the map but I am not that familiar with the names of the trails or the good spots. I would say they will probly gravitate twards the crawling sections of trails, but the more options the better in case fatigue sets in. I will mention binoculars to him as well.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts