Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need info on what options exist for upgrading an '05 Ford 6.0 liter diesel. I'd be interested to hear y'alls experiences with the various chips and exhuasts and such that are available. It looks like theres a lot of options out there so I'd great appreciate any help y'all could give in sorting them out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 05 F250 superduty. I have installed the Banks 6gun tuner and the speed loader. I have installed a larger tranny pan, turbo boost guage, pyrometer (exhaust temp) and tranny temp guages. I have a cold air intake system and larger exhaust. I tow about 8000 pounds (trailer and a Jeep). I works great. I have towed about 10k miles and no problems. I get about 12-13 mpg while towing and 15-16 unladen. I also have a 4.5" inch lift and 35" tires and 20"inch wheels. The truck kicks ass!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
How do you get better MPG without voiding the Warranty? I have a 05 dually
and when I have the trailer on I get under Ten? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Drive slower, add taller tires, to lessen the affects of your current gearing, since you have a dually, you probably have 4.10s so those hurt a little in the mileage dept, so up your tire size a few inches. Add a Cat back exhaust, won't void the warranty. Main thing is to keep your RPM's around 2K.. Should get the best possible mileage around there. Scotty

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my 04 now has 70k on it, i've had the edge juice box on it since under 500 miles, i love it. i've got a magnafow t-304 stainless exhaust, AFE intake, and a 3 pillar gauge set.

i love it and really wouldn't trade it for anything....

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
beretzs said:
Drive slower, add taller tires, to lessen the affects of your current gearing, since you have a dually, you probably have 4.10s so those hurt a little in the mileage dept, so up your tire size a few inches. Add a Cat back exhaust, won't void the warranty. Main thing is to keep your RPM's around 2K.. Should get the best possible mileage around there. Scotty
Thanks Man I will look into it! Funny cause it is at Ford now.....it had a whistle I thought was coming from the Turbo. They did too. Put a whole new one in and it still whistled? So it ended up being a leak in some random hose line :eek: :rolleyes: But I will try taller tires and a cat back exhaust. I should slow down too.....lol

DSI........will that exhaust void the Warr? Just want to be able to pull into any dealership in the US without problems.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
YotaFilmer said:
How do you get better MPG without voiding the Warranty? I have a 05 dually
and when I have the trailer on I get under Ten? :confused:

Are you in Kali? The 55mph speed limit when towing a trailer will return better mpg than any mod. Here in AZ we have hills and 75mph speed limits, I see around 10mpg with a 19k lb total load. I know I get better on flat ground but we just don't have enough of it to use a whole tank on. I run a 4" exhaust, predator programmer, 35's and a 4" lift. I am going to go down to 33's when these tires wear out to get some gearing back. I figure I have the equivalent of 3.33's after factoring in the 35's, that's a bit too high for the hills we have. I find I have to cruise at about 80mph to keep the truck in the powerband. Around town with the programmer set to the 60hp economy mode I get 16-17mpg driving 55-75 (30 mile commute 1 way, all but 2 miles is freeway) . If I drive like a snowbird I can squeeze 18 out of the truck. At times I wish my truck wasn't lifted but this was the lowest mileage truck I could find in my price range.

I just picked up a Ford AIS, found a place selling them for about $100 off normal price (powerstrokeshop.com). We'll see if the intake does much. The AIS isn't the most free flowing but it does filter the best which I felt was more important living here in Az, the land of dust. It also doesn't void your warranty as it is a Ford part.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DSI said:
my 04 now has 70k on it, i've had the edge juice box on it since under 500 miles, i love it. i've got a magnafow t-304 stainless exhaust, AFE intake, and a 3 pillar gauge set.

i love it and really wouldn't trade it for anything....
What kind of power/torque gains did you see with the juice? How does it FEEL to drive?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The ultimate FORD upgrade is "Go Big with a Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel" :flipoff2:

Leaving for Indiana towing the 40' foot triple with the 05 Dodge...hammer down baby! :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
cat back exhaust kit's are fully autorized, they seem to have issue with removing teh cat, there's an easy way to make the cat work in a ful 4in kit, very easy

the juice box is an AMAZING difference it's 100hp at the tires, not the flywheel ;) the truck fully gets it :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts