Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot more 1/4"+ welding as of late and am beginning to wonder if there's a better gun out there than the M100 that came with it. The shielding nozzles don't seem to last worth a damn at higher amperages - I'm on my third one, even being religious about cleaning it. The damn things just seem to melt when pushing the duty cycle limits of the machine (I don't have a press brake, so my current project has involved a few 36"+ long continuous welds in 1/4").

Now I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting, but consumable wear is pissing me off, and at some points the wire feed speed seems to get a bit sluggish (and I can feel the "squeaking" of wire inside the liner).

The Bernard Q150 comes with the MM200, and people seem to rave about it - would this be a worthwhile upgrade? From what I'm reading, the drive roll system on the MM211 is not suitable for whips longer than 10', but some people report success with 12' and 15' whips.

I'd like to retain the ability to weld with 0.024" wire, so does that mean the Q300 (and beyond) is unsuitable for my application?

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who can comment. The Q150 seems to be well-reputed and is perfectly reasonable at $200 through CyberWeld.

Thanks in advance, duders.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Do not go longer than 10'...you will regret it. Been there done that:(

I have to be really careful about how my cable is layed out between the gun and the machine. Too tight a radius or too many loops and the wire feed is very inconsistent.

Speaking of which, I need to buy a new gun for my MM175:laughing:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely watch out for tight bends in the whip - it only makes sense that it would cause problems :)

At this point, given how much people love the MM200 (and the included Q150), I think I'll go ahead and buy the 0.023" liner for my current M100 gun and refurbish it for low-amperage, small wire work... And buy the Q150 with a 0.030/0.035" liner for typical duty. I really think I just need to get experience with something other than barebones Lincoln and Miller guns and figure it out from there.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have had good luck with the Profax and Right now I am trying a Master Weld Gun.

So far so good

I like being able to use the Tweco Style Consumables as I have all my guns use them.

Any of these guns can be set up with a liner for .023 wire and Miller back end.

Perhaps it is time to change liners??

Just what happens to the Nozzles??

Then Miller guns always were junk.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Bernard guns. That's what I'm gonna go with for my PM255, though something smaller for 1/4" and under. The Magnum 250L that I have currently is way oversized for most of what I do.

I will tell you from using a few 250amp rated guns they are great for 1/4" and up don't heat soak and will punch holes in smaller material, below that they're quite cumbersome and just overkill.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have 400AMP Bernard Q guns on all the big machines at work and they're pretty damn good. Get the centerfire 2-piece nozzles, they last a long time, and you can replace just the tip of the nozzle, so it's a little cheaper to run day-in/day-out. The downside is that they're big guns, would never want to build a cage with one, but for production work on large weldments, they kick ass.

I also really like Tweeco guns, haven't used Profax, but my welding supplier sells the shit out of them. Miller guns are absolute dog shit.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a praxair branded bernard on my miller 175. Best thing I did. Used to go through 2-3 tips every day I used it. I have used 2 tips in a year and a half.

The nozzle is bigger and I do find myself burning them up more, but they are cheaper. Overall consumable cost dropped drastically.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I definitely watch out for tight bends in the whip - it only makes sense that it would cause problems :)
With the stock 10ft gun, it was never an issue.

With the 15' gun it's really picky, like I have to move the work away from the welder often to keep the lead straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts