Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this in jeep talk with no response and need to make a decision on this. I am building this jeep with the POLY brackets, and using 14" coilovers. Here are some potential issues I have run into... I started working on the body panels by making templates from the cardboard since my break dance party got canceled. Upon doing so I flexed out the rear and realized I may have mounted the rear coilovers a bit too low, wanted to get some input. Here is the rear wheel at what is full stuff right now.

It doesnt get much past the rear frame rasil.

So is this enough uptravel?

I obviously have plenty of room to rebuild the mounts- it just SUCKS since they are all done already. So, wanted some input before I hacked it all apart. So, if it was your rig, would you want more uptravel than that? Right now I have the CO mounts setup with the rear mounts about 1" lower than the front ones. No reason for it, just how they ended up. I was going 4-5 inches of uptravel out of the shocks at ride height, still need to figure out where that is exactly with them setup the way they are.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
How far are the shocks compressed at ride height?

x2

Also, for future reference, its easier to work with this stuff if you have your panels/templates in place before hand. That way you can set the axles at the intended full bump, and locate the coils from there. That will give you the maximum full stuff you can get at any given ride height.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I wish I would have done that- but hindsight is always- well you know. I did that for the front and it worked out great- go figure...
I was planning on running them at 4-5" of shafts showing at ride height. I am going to confirm today that is where we were at. I cant really remember now that its all in pieces again. Will get back with a confirmation.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
if you want 4" to 5" of shaft showing, and that gives you the stuff you are showing us, then I would run it. If you move your CO up, and keep 4"-5" of shaft showing, it will lower your rear end and reduce your total droop. If you want more stuff you need more shaft showing.

Leni

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
looks tall, and it the wheelbase looks short. it all depends what you want to do with the rig. if it were mine, i would want at least 7" uptravel, belly height near 23 or 24", and wheelbase somewhere around 108. again, this is all personal preference and depends on what you want to do with the rig.

how high does the belly sit at right height and what is your wheelbase?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Is your passenger rear shock @ full extension? If not, that will make that drivers side tire go up more. (Albeit not much)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Try lifting the front tire. And let the rig weight compress the rear. The way your lifting your compressing the front.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
what does it look like fully compressed(the whole thing)? If you want to mount them up higher to get more uptravel, you have to besure that everything will compress tighter at full bump.

I bet it will work fine though.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
this is a great example of why you build things at full stuff.

pull the coilovers out, figure out how low you can get the whole thing without shocks and before something important hits something hard and then put the shocks back in fully compressed and build the mounts from there. once you do that cycle it to make sure nothing binds or hits and then you're good to weld it up.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
All good advice.

If you ended up needing more, looks like there's almost an inch you could get for free from the lower mounting tabs.

If you pull the front springs off the CO's, that will garruntee you get full travel out of the rear when you are doing the cycle testing.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
you'll never get a super dope flex pic with that much clearance b/t the fender and tire! that being said, lets see a pic of it sitting on flat ground, or let us know your belly measurements, wheelbase and such, and also, greatly depends on what terrain you are going to be using it in. i would want the tire to stuff more personally, i like as much uptravel as i can feasibly get (coming from a guy that only has about 3'' of uptravel now), and the rig to see as low as possible.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, I went ahead and set it up at full bump today and at ride height there is only 1" of shaft showing. I definitely did NOT set it up at full bump like I did the front. I was lazy, and the shocks were charged, so I couldn't get it to squat in the rear to do it so I guessed. Dumb.
I already cut out the old mounts and have new tabs on the way to rebuild them up about 4-5 inches. Should be able to knock them out in a day next week.
My wheelbase is 107, and my belly height will be about 22" when all is said and done. I might lift it up a little, but not much.
This is close to full bump. Just the rear sitting up a little higher cuz the shocks are charged. I am 6' even for height reference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts