Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Looking at these old trucks down south, even the most beat vehicle would still make me hesitant to take it out in the winter. I'm coming across dented and well used work trucks for like $1,500 with no rust. They look like the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Ha!
I moved down to Tx 3yrs ago from New England. I travel all over Tx for work and am fucking amazed at the amount of early 80s & 90s cars and trucks I see, and the condition they are in. I see cars & trucks daily here that have been gone for years up north. I saw a Dodge Omni the other day on the highway!! When was the last time you saw one of those?...... Or a K car? Lmao

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I moved down to Tx 3yrs ago from New England. I travel all over Tx for work and am fucking amazed at the amount of early 80s & 90s cars and trucks I see, and the condition they are in. I see cars & trucks daily here that have been gone for years up north. I saw a Dodge Omni the other day on the highway!! When was the last time you saw one of those?...... Or a K car? Lmao
Im amazed whenever I'm in NE about the absolute garbage thats allowed on the road. Vehicles with entire rockers and corners gone; frames barely holding together. Shit i wouldn't give a plug nickel for.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
I’m seeing this shit on my quest for a JKU Rubicon since September. I’ve basically given up my search for a 69-72 Blazer...rust buckets non running 10K. Fuck that.

I found the perfect Rubicon last week. Got the funds going and guy backed out. 26k for a semi built rig. Thanks Jay Self. Bastard.

Found a clean semi built Rubicon. Guy wanted 36k. I offered 26k. Said can’t find a stock Rubi for that. Sure bud.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Im amazed whenever I'm in NE about the absolute garbage thats allowed on the road. Vehicles with entire rockers and corners gone; frames barely holding together. Shit i wouldn't give a plug nickel for.
Truth!

It's pretty sad when it's considered normal for the payments to outlast the truck by a year or two.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
yep stupid ass government.
It only lasted a few months, they ran out of money for the program. What I think happened is scrap prices. A lot of vehicle got crushed and sent to china. Scrap yards were paying 700 per vehicle. Stripping the wheels, radiators, and cats, selling the engines that ran, and crushing what was left and sending across the ocean. That was more damaging to older vehicles than cash for clunkers. And lasted a lot longer.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Was looking for a farm truck... found this beaut... $1,800.00 .... it got ass ended on the driver rear, tweaked the bed a bit, paint looks like ass!!!!
Old guy bought it new and was pissed when hit and bought a new one!!!
Wife says the speedo says 97,000... I remember it being higher than that.... she drives it more than me though.... I’m gonna have to check tomorrow!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
It only lasted a few months, they ran out of money for the program.
690,000 cars were destroyed during this program. You are right it didn't run very long but I think it had a big effect. For example the Jeeps below, it very hard to find anything lower mileage and most are pretty high and priced pretty high. There seemed to be a pretty big shift in what was available prior and after the program. Other then the vans, no one misses those.

Top cars destroyed were:
1 Ford Explorer 4WD
2 Ford F-150 pickup 2WD
3 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
4 Ford Explorer 2WD
5 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
6 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
7 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
8 Chevrolet C 1500 pickup 2WD
9 Ford F-150 pickup 4WD
10 Ford Windstar minivan

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
690,000 cars were destroyed during this program. You are right it didn't run very long but I think it had a big effect. For example the Jeeps below, it very hard to find anything lower mileage and most are pretty high and priced pretty high. There seemed to be a pretty big shift in what was available prior and after the program. Other then the vans, no one misses those.

Top cars destroyed were:
1 Ford Explorer 4WD
2 Ford F-150 pickup 2WD
3 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
4 Ford Explorer 2WD
5 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
6 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
7 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
8 Chevrolet C 1500 pickup 2WD
9 Ford F-150 pickup 4WD
10 Ford Windstar minivan
I found two 2WD Cherokees for $1,000, clean, in VA, but they sold before I could get down there. I don't care if an inline 6 motor has 240,000 miles on the clock. It's the rust that I can't justify more than $500 for.

·
Read Only
2,525 Posts
It's a simple answer for me. Cars have gone down hill since the early 2000's. I'm currently trying to put together several older 90's vehicles that will last me for the rest of my life hopefully. A lot of people are fed up with payments and high repair costs. That's the last era of vehicles that can be repeatedly rebuilt and refurbished for the rest of time. They're simple to work on. It doesn't require a ton of special tools or skills to diagnose. The parts are cheap. Steel is thick. Body styles are "classic" now. And they still drive well. Most have air bags and disk brakes, cruise control, and EFI.

They're just holding more value than the throw away cars built over the past 10-20 years.

$5k is cheap when a late model is $25k-$50k.

This is where I am. I may have to come down and visit you next year. My '80 GMC is on a low road salt diet and my '98 buick regal isn't much of a steel hauler but gets great MPG. I need a nice truck that isn't too new but gets 20+ MPG.

Also, fords and dodges are ugly in my opinion.

It'd be a bonus to get road salt all over something that other people think is too nice for winter.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
It's a simple answer for me. Cars have gone down hill since the early 2000's. I'm currently trying to put together several older 90's vehicles that will last me for the rest of my life hopefully. A lot of people are fed up with payments and high repair costs. That's the last era of vehicles that can be repeatedly rebuilt and refurbished for the rest of time. They're simple to work on. It doesn't require a ton of special tools or skills to diagnose. The parts are cheap. Steel is thick. Body styles are "classic" now. And they still drive well. Most have air bags and disk brakes, cruise control, and EFI.

They're just holding more value than the throw away cars built over the past 10-20 years.

$5k is cheap when a late model is $25k-$50k.
Yep. Much of this is accurate. I would even take an early 2000's, but it would depend on which vehicle.

And as you pointed out, new car prices keep going up so used car prices aren't dropping so much.

As someone who recently sold a $1,500 ish car for an estate it's a hassle and not worth the effort. If it were mine, I would donate it, give it away, etc. It's just not worth it.

5 Mexidoodles come up from Sonora in a 4runner, and they buy 7 Toyotas, mostly pickups and 4Runners and flat tow them across the border. Makes my 98 worth just as much as I paid for it 3 years ago. God bless those Mexidoodles.

I see this all the time in Houston. However, it's not all toyotas and often times I don't see a single toyota in the line. I wonder if inflated used values on them just don't make it worth hauling to mexico.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts

I see this all the time in Houston. However, it's not all toyotas and often times I don't see a single toyota in the line. I wonder if inflated used values on them just don't make it worth hauling to mexico.

Yup, see it all the time here. Oddly enough, I see most brands, but Toyota is the predominate one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you nice weather folk want a laugh, search Pittsburgh, Erie, Cleveland and see the shit heaps we have from the 90's. At least Fred Flintstone's car didn't give him tetanus.
I am in this area and was in the same boat last year. I was absolutely floored by what people want for their shit boxes.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I am in this area and was in the same boat last year. I was absolutely floored by what people want for their shit boxes.
I’m from NE Ohio. 5 minutes south of Lake Erie and 30 minutes west of Erie. I bought a rust free Toyota from Virginia. It literally was rotting away after 3 winters. I got fed up and moved to Las Vegas where 30 year old vehicles look new still. There are cars here that you haven’t seen on the roads in Ohio in over 20 years.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts