Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to pick up a used mtb to occasionally ride with friends. I currently have a Surly Crosscheck cx bike that I commute on and put a fair amount of road miles (125-175 a week). I tried it with some cx 32mm tires at the local mtb ranch. I made it through, but felt like I really needed something smaller and more manurvable on dedicated mtb trails... though a lot of that probably was due to user error! ;) Realistically I would probably only ride it 1-2x a month on trails, so I don't want to spend a bunch of $$. So I'm hoping I can score a decent hardtail at a grarage sale for under $100 ... but would probably be willing to spend 150-200 on some decent quality. Is this realistic? What kind of years/bikes would fit in this range? Oh and I would rather bite the bullet and spend more than settle for someones dept store crap.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I don't think your price range is realistic for a good used bike. Try a pawn shop in your area. You'd be surprised at what they get in sometimes. Here, I have seen Gary Fishers & Kona's in the window of one downtown. Check the different models on mtbreview.com and then shop ebay for the model you like. You can search older models on the website and maybe find a deal on ebay after that. Mike

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, thanks for the reply. What do you think a realistic range would be for a decent but definately used bike?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a gary fisher tasajara and it is in cherry condition road a few times.... I will ship it to you for $300 I can send you pics if you want to see the bike... Everything works and the tires hold air great bike no time or desire for it....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts