Pirate 4x4 banner

2641 - 2660 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
So you've been injured by negligence and your car is totalled. Im assuming the car owner had insurance, but do you sue his estate I guess to make you whole?
rubelcon's insurance should take care of it. If not (ie: he has liability only), the other driver's insurance should (at least that is how it would work in NY).

Aaron Z

·
Registered
930 Posts
So you've been injured by negligence and your car is totalled. Im assuming the car owner had insurance, but do you sue his estate I guess to make you whole?
Just spoke with my attorney yesterday, hopefully letters or representation already sent.

The car owner has State Farm, I'm All State; full coverage. It's a very high profile claim due to the damage, and the passenger of course. But that's a great question I'm going to leave up to my attorney. He paid. 180k for the car that hit me, and he's got a $1.1M house here in LA. I'm sure there's some dollars somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
Just spoke with my attorney yesterday, hopefully letters or representation already sent.

The car owner has State Farm, I'm All State; full coverage. It's a very high profile claim due to the damage, and the passenger of course. But that's a great question I'm going to leave up to my attorney. He paid. 180k for the car that hit me, and he's got a $1.1M house here in LA. I'm sure there's some dollars somewhere.
The cynic in me is screaming that you're gonna find out that both the car and the house are financed to the hilt, and that his name ain't gonna be on either.

I've been in the reverse situation: I'm insured by SF, and the at-fault driver was insured by Allstate. Based on that (Allstate tried to commit fraud,) I'll always go through subrogation and never deal directly with the other insurance company.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My Pop called me last night. Said he got married again after about 20 years of running around. Big #4. Says it's his last. Think he's like 72 now. Hope whoever she is that she can put up with his ass.

Great guy with a lot of humor. Wished I got to know him better in person. May try to track him down next time I go to TN.

Cheers Pops!
:beer:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It wouldn't be Christmas season if I didn't have the battery die in one vehicle or another. Tonight, a twofer with the f350 going flat in the grocery store parking lot. Started fine to go to work this morning, started fine to come home. Started fine to drive to the grocery store...barely cranked when I came out. Alternator works great, cables are in good shape...batteries just held their last charge I guess. Got a jump, drove around for 20 minutes before coming home and parking, and...barely cranks over.

Guess I drive the wheeler to work and buy batteries after work tomorrow. Fuck.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
It wouldn't be Christmas season if I didn't have the battery die in one vehicle or another. Tonight, a twofer with the f350 going flat in the grocery store parking lot. Started fine to go to work this morning, started fine to come home. Started fine to drive to the grocery store...barely cranked when I came out. Alternator works great, cables are in good shape...batteries just held their last charge I guess. Got a jump, drove around for 20 minutes before coming home and parking, and...barely cranks over.

Guess I drive the wheeler to work and buy batteries after work tomorrow. Fuck.
once they're discharged they freeze solid
probably hold a charge again if you thaw them
but that takes a couple days in a tub of water

guys in the office sell a shitload of batteries to people just because they don't want to wait a few days for their shit to thaw out, so of course I drag them home, got a pile of good batteries in the basement I got for the $10 core charge
fuckin' dumb

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
once they're discharged they freeze solid
probably hold a charge again if you thaw them
but that takes a couple days in a tub of water

guys in the office sell a shitload of batteries to people just because they don't want to wait a few days for their shit to thaw out, so of course I drag them home, got a pile of good batteries in the basement I got for the $10 core charge
fuckin' dumb

Ohhh....you maybe think I live in the frozen wasteland of Canada? Its 5 celcius at 10pm right now. I don't think they're frozen, I think they're just old. They weren't new when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I bought this old Dakota from auction on Monday. Took the afternoon and cleaned it up and assessed it. I need to sew up the driver seat and replace the dome light bulb. I can't believe some of the vehicles people give away. This thing had mold growing on it when I picked it up.

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/d/93-dakota-manual/6760914741.html
A) You're in the south so shit goes stupid cheap because nothing rusts out.

B) Those Dakotas go stupid cheap because they're not quite as capable as full size truck so the people looking for beater trucks don't want them and they're not minitrucks to the stupid hipster with too much money crowd doesn't want them.

I've been casually shopping for those trucks. Sometime in the next year I'm probably going to buy a single cab, 4x4 1st gen, fix it up a little and give it to my dad because he needs a small-ish truck.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
A) You're in the south so shit goes stupid cheap because nothing rusts out.

B) Those Dakotas go stupid cheap because they're not quite as capable as full size truck so the people looking for beater trucks don't want them and they're not minitrucks to the stupid hipster with too much money crowd doesn't want them.

I've been casually shopping for those trucks. Sometime in the next year I'm probably going to buy a single cab, 4x4 1st gen, fix it up a little and give it to my dad because he needs a small-ish truck.
All good points. I am blessed to be in Arkansas. We have so few vehicle laws here and a massive market to pull from. I buy from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, and Oklahoma. I can get a lot of nice rust free cars within a 6 hour drive.

I actually really like this little truck. I have a 92 v6 ex-cab Ranger too. This Dakota is so much more truck. It's really perfect as a normal pick up. To me the next step is a 3/4 or One ton. I think this can take the place of a half-ton quite well (not in comparison of these new half tons that tow 12k lbs.). I would love to find a 4x4 with a manual like this truck. I really like these 1st gens over the 2nd gen. They feel like a really solid vehicle. The 2nd gens wore really badly. Especially the interiors. This interior feels really solid.

I will be driving this till it sells. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
So I have the death wobble going on with my Jeep (ghey I know) but anyway, I have installed GM over the knuckle steering, new ball joints, new upper control arm bushings and I still have it! I'm about ready to burn this bitch down! It's an 03 Rubicon, just installed a 4" zone offroad lift, 35" Mastercraft xmt tires with airsoft pellets. The only thing I can think of is either the tires are bad or a bad rim or the steering box has a little play in it but could that cause the DW?

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
Out of round tires will cause it. So will out of balance tires. 35's are small enough to toss on a balancer.

With a new lift kit you need an alignment. I typically go to 1/4" of toe with 35's.

You're going to regret wasting money with Zone products.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Out of round tires will cause it. So will out of balance tires. 35's are small enough to toss on a balancer.

With a new lift kit you need an alignment. I typically go to 1/4" of toe with 35's.

You're going to regret wasting money with Zone products.
Thanks for your input. This is the second Zone lift I've had and my brother and a good friend all have the same one and we like them. Tires are new but I will get them checked.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Wife through a baby shower for a friend today. I had beers before 11, cleaned the garage, napped, and am now on my 3rd transfomers movie. It's been a good day.

2641 - 2660 of 6681 Posts