Pirate 4x4 banner

2801 - 2820 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I had to go rescue mom. Apparently her 04 Monte Carlo drained all of it's coolant on the way to her sister's. I can't seem to see where it was leaking from but seems like somewhere under the motor. I poured in a gallon and followed her to the gas station 2 miles away but radiator was empty again. I poured in another gallon but it ended up on the ground. It was not leaking on the radiator or any of the main hoses but i could see it pouring out under the engine. Hmmm.....

She did not want to call someone to tow it on xmas so she is waiting till tmw.
Heater line?

Try turning the heater off and see if it still leaks.
I checked the hoses going to the heater core and motor but none were leaking.
I had to go rescue mom. Apparently her 04 Monte Carlo drained all of it's coolant on the way to her sister's. I can't seem to see where it was leaking from but seems like somewhere under the motor. I poured in a gallon and followed her to the gas station 2 miles away but radiator was empty again. I poured in another gallon but it ended up on the ground. It was not leaking on the radiator or any of the main hoses but i could see it pouring out under the engine. Hmmm.....

She did not want to call someone to tow it on xmas so she is waiting till tmw.
If it is a 3.8L the coolant elbow is a pretty common part to fail (brittle plastic) Dorman makes a metal replacement
Where is this elbow located? I checked every hose visible but could not get under the car.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm glad I didn't take the day off work to watch the First Responder Bowl with Boise State vs. Boston College. Long lightening delay in the first quarter and they ended up cancelling the game entirely. Oh well, it looked like BC was gonna destroy BSU anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Just finished fixing the XJ I sold last weekend. Lower rad hose split at the hoseclamp. I knew the hose was eh when I put it back on but it had been working. Guess I put the hose back in a different spot and it did not like it.

$13 for a new hose, and $14 for new coolant.

Re flushed it all. Luckily it was warm out today.

Pressure checked it for about 15 minutes and it did not loose any pressure.

Had it running for over an hour, including a short drive and has not gone above 190*

Should be good.

Good enough for a 24 yo $900 jeep.

Hopefully the new owner is happy with it.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts

Where is this elbow located? I checked every hose visible but could not get under the car.
Above the water pump. I think it goes from the lower intake manifold to the tensioner bracket.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Above the water pump. I think it goes from the lower intake manifold to the tensioner bracket.
Found em. One was cracked open and then broke off as I pulled it out. I got the Dorman aluminum replacements in, filled it, and bled out the air. That fixed the leak but it now has a continuous bubbling in the coolant reservoir.

I am guessing she overheated it a few times limping it to her destination and maybe blew the HG. I will try my block tester on it and see if gasses are getting in the cooling system.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Boss figured out a 4cyl Cummins can spin 4,000rpm +. Fedex truck got dropped off as a no start, wasn't getting fuel or so he assumed, so he whacked the intake full of brake-clean and she went all the way to the ketchup and then some when it finally lit off.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
Something I learned today that really surprised me (music/movie trivia edition)

There's an old man in the movie "The Shooter" he is a firearms expert, one of my fav parts of the movie is when Marky Mark and his young FBI buddy go to the old mans house, and he grabs their hands and looks at the palms to make a quick judgement about the both of them, he is smart old and cool with a cool voice .

Hang on .......

There is another movie that is one of my all time favs that most people have never heard of called "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" it stars Tommy Lee Jones, Dwight Yokam and the same old man from The Shooter, they stumble across him living by Himself out in the desert, he is blind, and listens to the Mexican radio station, he can't understand a word they're sayin, but he likes it .

Now, I always knew that the old man in both of those movies was indeed the same person, but here is what I did not know .......

The old man's name is Levon Helm, and he was the singer and drummer for "The Band", they had several hits including :

The Weight
Up on Cripple Creek
The Night they drove old Dixie Down

If you want to see that old man in his younger days displaying some true talent, watch this video, he is the one playing drums and singing his heart out .

https://youtu.be/jREUrbGGrgM

Would have liked to have embedded this but can't get that to work anymore

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts

There's an old man in the movie "The Shooter" he is a firearms expert, one of my fav parts of the movie is when Marky Mark and his young FBI buddy go to the old mans house, and he grabs their hands and looks at the palms to make a quick judgement about the both of them, he is smart old and cool with a cool voice .

Hang on .......

There is another movie that is one of my all time favs that most people have never heard of called "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" it stars Tommy Lee Jones, Dwight Yokam and the same old man from The Shooter, they stumble across him living by Himself out in the desert, he is blind, and listens to the Mexican radio station, he can't understand a word they're sayin, but he likes it .

Now, I always knew that the old man in both of those movies was indeed the same person, but here is what I did not know .......

The old man's name is Levon Helm, and he was the singer and drummer for "The Band", they had several hits including :

The Weight
Up on Cripple Creek

If you want to see that old man in his younger days displaying some true talent, watch this video, he is the one playing drums and singing his heart out .

rent coal miner's daughter... levon is outstanding in that film as Lorretta lynn's dad.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Buddy that OD'd on the weekend died yesterday. His parents wouldn't let any of his old (non-using) friends say goodbye. They've also said they aren't going to tell us anything about a memorial.

Tell your kids you love them, his parents never did.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Took the kiddo to Calaveras big trees. Her first time seeing the giant sequoias. Had a good short hike, saw a little snow. Saw a on a flat bed tow truck that looked like it rolled. Pretty fun day over all.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

Hang on .......

The Weight
Up on Cripple Creek

Here is a tribute to Levon

·
Premium Member
11,147 Posts
My parents are on an annual vacation to their place in SC, along with a few of my aunt/uncles/cousins etc. My mom just called me 3 times in a row frantically to tell me that my aunt & uncles dog just passed away while they were down there, along with the whole story about how it went into cardiac arrest 3 times and had to be emergency transported to Charleston, etc...

I mean...yes, that sucks, but I didn't really need to learn this at midnight and add another bummer onto the funeral I'm already going to tomorrow for my buddy's dad. I don't mean to appear unsympathetic, I've spent a lot of time with that dog in years past (9 yr old Golden Retriever), but they're 1000 miles away and I see them once a year at this point.

I'm just not a big family news person I guess. My mom loves hearing and spreading every bit of gossip about anyone she finds out about; I'm content with hearing it next time I see somebody. :shrug:

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Buddy that OD'd on the weekend died yesterday. His parents wouldn't let any of his old (non-using) friends say goodbye. They've also said they aren't going to tell us anything about a memorial.

That sounds totally counterintuitive. Are the parents users too:confused: Sorry about your buddy.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts

A co-worker of mine lost his son to a heroin OD a few months back.

Kid was like 27, had been on and off for a few years. Had a son of his own and had been clean for a few years. Picked it up again one night and it was over.

Very scary shit.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. Found my way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up I noticed I was late...

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Off to work for the second day in a row during what is supposed to be my week off. Luckily it's just some quick babysitting. Then I can come home and finish the woodworking portion of the table i should have finished last week.

2801 - 2820 of 6681 Posts