Pirate 4x4 banner

2921 - 2940 of 6681 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
It's a 2-door JK with a 5.7 hemi, auto trans, teraflex 1-tons and 42" Iroks.

I have a '79 Toyota project truck for him. I just want to make sure he's interested in this sort of thing before we start tearing into it. It has a 20R and 4-speed manual transmission. Guy I bought it from gave me two spare t-cases mated together with a marlin adapter. And I bought a propane kit for it because the carb doesn't like any angle other than flat. I'd like to build it like Fred Williams' Toyota 'Clampy' - overbuilt and underpowered. That should keep him more controlled and out of trouble when he starts rock crawling. He can always graduate to something with more power as he gets older and more experienced.

Both the Jeep and Toyota are off-road only and not street legal where I live. But I have a K5 with one-tons and 37s that we're just finishing up a 5.3 LS swap into. He''ll be allowed to cruise to school in that one.

My DD is a 2017 BMW X5M. I've made it clear he will never be allowed to drive it :D
Fuck yeah... my dad was from the "Hey son, I got 32mpg this week" crowd. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Just swapped a 4.0L, ax15, atlas 4.3 into an originally 2.5L that spun a main bearing.

Waste of time, anything else wouldve been more productive. But the owner is happy.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Still looking at JKs.

Dealer emailed me back today, after I'd talked to one of their chat bots (that might actually be a real person in the third world).

Hello Scott,

My name is Jonny and on behalf of [Removed] Nissan I would like to thank you for your inquiry.

We Are cloa d today bur as soon as I get in tomorrow I'll grab the file for the Jeep and send you all the info I have.
Basically the price would be plus taxes and our documentation fee which is $569.

I will chat with myvuses manager and get his best price on the Jeep for you.

I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Sincerely,

jonny
That's the level of professionalism it takes to be a salesman at a car dealership? This is a Nissan dealer, not a crappy used car dealer, they just happen to have a crappy used JK because they took it on trade. Proofread, for fucks sake. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Fuck yeah... my dad was from the "Hey son, I got 32mpg this week" crowd. :smokin:
LOL so was mine. Always drove boring cars and told me not to buy a truck because they used too much gas.

Chick magnet....??

Some kid bought a nice white Willys (rollbar & fat tyres) & the girls didn't like it at all. It only attracted guys, yup me included :lmao:
Except girls always like convertibles. And a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK is convertible. The fact you can drive with the doors removed makes it even more fun for girls.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
LOL so was mine. Always drove boring cars and told me not to buy a truck because they used too much gas.

Except girls always like convertibles. And a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK is convertible. The fact you can drive with the doors removed makes it even more fun for girls.
Yeah and if it has a lift; the fat girls can't jump! :smokin:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts

Fuckin eh. I drove a samurai. Mileage AND removable top and doors!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Fuckin eh. I drove a samurai. Mileage AND removable top and doors!
That's what I started with too. I eventually owned around 12 different Samurais, including four LWB versions. I wish they hadn't all rusted away to nothing. Can't even find them around here anymore. Are there still any in decent shape in BC?

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts

My dad was the opposite

When I was a kid our family truckster was a 74 caprice convertible with a 454
It got 8 MPG around town and 12 on long interstate trips

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
.... a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK is convertible. The fact you can drive with the doors removed makes it even more fun for girls.
This Willy didn't come w/hardtop nor any doors (think sand rail type). It was a riot to see the kid driving in the pouring rain & coming in soaking wet...

I do agree broads love convertibles but for some reason, the chicks preferred to watch the Willy spectacle instead of riding in & cream their jeans. The owner did date but it was mostly "ugh!! I'm not getting in that car"-

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
That's what I started with too. I eventually owned around 12 different Samurais, including four LWB versions. I wish they hadn't all rusted away to nothing. Can't even find them around here anymore. Are there still any in decent shape in BC?
Yep! Buddy just roadtripped his down to run the Rubicon then moab and home again. I've even got a buddy with an lj80 in decent shape!

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
This Willy didn't come w/hardtop nor any doors (think sand rail type). It was a riot to see the kid driving in the pouring rain & coming in soaking wet...

I do agree broads love convertibles but for some reason, the chicks preferred to watch the Willy spectacle instead of riding in & cream their jeans. The owner did date but it was mostly "ugh!! I'm not getting in that car"-
BUT did the kid have a smile on his face from driving the Jeep? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've been wanting to post about work but I haven't. I got into a pissing match with my boss and his boss about my pay multiple times over the past month, it hasn't gone well. I got informed around 5 today that I get to report to a new supervisor come the 21st, after a very simple sit down interview with the guy. New boss seems to have better pull with the big bosses. So I get to transition from space parts back to more simple aerospace parts, but go from 1 off shit to developing processes for production parts. I'm nervous as fuck, but it's my last step before I find a job elsewhere, so I'm going to try to do well, if not fuck it.

Oh and I drank a half a handle of Bacardi tonight to celebrate. Here's to my ambition to get up in 7 hours!

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
I've been wanting to post about work but I haven't. I got into a pissing match with my boss and his boss about my pay multiple times over the past month, it hasn't gone well. I got informed around 5 today that I get to report to a new supervisor come the 21st, after a very simple sit down interview with the guy. New boss seems to have better pull with the big bosses. So I get to transition from space parts back to more simple aerospace parts, but go from 1 off shit to developing processes for production parts. I'm nervous as fuck, but it's my last step before I find a job elsewhere, so I'm going to try to do well, if not fuck it.

Oh and I drank a half a handle of Bacardi tonight to celebrate. Here's to my ambition to get up in 7 hours!
sounds like you might as well fuck it at this point, get to getting on the anywhere else option

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
looks neat, exposure time?
25 seconds, about the max I think you can do without starting to give them tails. They seem to start to smear if you go to 30 seconds. Or maybe that's operator induced.

f5.6
ISO 1250
10mm

The lens isn't exactly ideal, but I did screw up as I could have gone to f4.5 but was fiddling with it in the dark and didn't realize it. :laughing: Now if I wanted to do a longer exposure with tails on them, I think it would work well. But like hell if I actually know. :homer:

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
25 seconds, about the max I think you can do without starting to give them tails. They seem to start to smear if you go to 30 seconds. Or maybe that's operator induced.

f5.6
ISO 1250
10mm

The lens isn't exactly ideal, but I did screw up as I could have gone to f4.5 but was fiddling with it in the dark and didn't realize it. :laughing: Now if I wanted to do a longer exposure with tails on them, I think it would work well. But like hell if I actually know. :homer:
Looks fucking sharp to me... Tails sort of suck in my book. I was out in the south Pacific when Halley's comet was passing. Fucking head of the comet was on the horizon with the tail well past ninety over my head. Fucking wide angle low light camera would have been a god send back then. All I can do now is just talk about it... :smokin:

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Looks fucking sharp to me... Tails sort of suck in my book. I was out in the south Pacific when Halley's comet was passing. Fucking head of the comet was on the horizon with the tail well past ninety over my head. Fucking wide angle low light camera would have been a god send back then. All I can do now is just talk about it... :smokin:
There's so damn many times I wished I had a camera and didn't.

Trying to carry it with me more often, so that doesn't happen as much. Ordered a stupid backpack from Amazon for the thing, should make it easier to take it along with the lenses and a tripod.

I do have to say, it's amazing what a cheap DSLR and cheap (all relative) lenses can do. I paid something like $300 USD for the camera body (D5300) and the lens I shot that with was about $250 USD.

Looking at a used Sigma 150-500mm for it now. Not the most amazing lens, but the guy on the back end of it isn't either, and I think it's priced right (wants about $400 USD for it).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
sounds like you might as well fuck it at this point, get to getting on the anywhere else option
I've got 8 years here, so I'm going to try it. Don't have a ton to lose at this point.

FWIW this all started when I was buying the house, they started fucking with me because they thought they had me over the barrel. My dad's advice was STFU, get the house, then go find a new job. Sometimes his advice is pretty solid.

2921 - 2940 of 6681 Posts