Pirate 4x4 banner

3301 - 3320 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
15,013 Posts
Even in New England you still see lots of 80s and 90s stuff on the road. You'd never know if you spent all your time near the rich cities. Rich people don't drive old shit and they don't like seeing old shit so the landscaper buys a new truck too. When I was in the DC area I never saw old shit even though nothing rusts there.
I live in a normal area i guess you would call it, even when i lived in Lansing and spent a lot of time in Hammond Indiana i still never seen them in the last 10 years, i just figured everyone used them as plow trucks or off-road trucks which is what i did.

But i been all over Nashville yesterday and today and havent seen anything old other then like a 90s Grand Prix driven by some kids. Everyone has nice new boring plastic cars. We are going to pigeon forge area tomorrow and following some huge garage sale that is up and down a road maybe ill find some old junk then

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
First "lift kit" I have installed in a long time. 1996 Bronco, what a pain in the the butt it has been. The lift itself hasn't been too bad I guess but doing ball joints, axle pivot bushings and steering. ABS sensors were a pain. Now it looks like I am pulling the pitman arm with a cutoff wheel and a air chisel and a partially bent new puller. Weeee the camber looks wack but I haven't moved it.
I hate to get all "after the fact" up in your ass, but a SAS w/HP44 is easier than a lift kit for your bronco. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Slid in to a crawlspace today and saw some “repairs”. I pulled the 4x4 out and slipped it back in. Good times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
SAS with anything other than a SD60 in a coil sprung TTB truck is stupid. The SD60 is easier better and often cheaper.
Uhh, no.

Coil mounts are in the wrong place.

Have to fab radius arms and mounts.

Different bolt pattern

Different steering linkage setup.

Different brake caliper size, thus different MC.

Different Pinion length and u-joint size.

45 is right, 77-79 Bronco or F150 setup is the way to go if you can source one. Plenty of good cast wedge axles still floating around here in the south.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ran out of newspaper for the chimney starter. The hunt is on. Seems like newspaper is unobtanium and super hard to come by. No way I am paying three fifty for the Sunday paper.

I asked around and checked the recycling center but no one got any. Planning on asking Beaver County Times if they will give me blems for free.

What are alternatives that you guys use to start the coal?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ran out of newspaper for the chimney starter. The hunt is on. Seems like newspaper is unobtanium and super hard to come by. No way I am paying three fifty for the Sunday paper.

I asked around and checked the recycling center but no one got any. Planning on asking Beaver County Times if they will give me blems for free.

Find out where the news paper is printed. There will be dumpsters full of close by. I filled up a tote and it’s still got a bunch in it, been 3 years now.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts

We get local papers put into our mailbox for free. Great for starting the grill.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,310
SAS with anything other than a SD60 in a coil sprung TTB truck is stupid. The SD60 is easier better and often cheaper.

Agreed. A superpoopy 60 is $500 and so is a 44. For the little bit more work it takes it seems crazy not to put one in anything

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Meh, depends on what you're gonna do with it. Really clean and 35's there's no sense in going tons when the HP44 is virtually drop in and matches the rear 5x5.5

My point is, twin tractor beam sucks balls unless you're spending big $$$- then it's kinda awesome. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Meh, depends on what you're gonna do with it. Really clean and 35's there's no sense in going tons when the HP44 is virtually drop in and matches the rear 5x5.5

My point is, twin tractor beam sucks balls unless you're spending big $$$- then it's kinda awesome. :grinpimp:
All the big $$ stuff is just simple fabrication. If you've got a welder and a grinder the TTB is the cheapest and easiest IFS to build up. Eventually you hit a point where you want CTMs but it's cheap until then and you hit that point with every IFS.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Uhh, no.
Coil mounts are in the wrong place.
Have to fab radius arms and mounts.
Different bolt pattern
Different steering linkage setup.
Different brake caliper size, thus different MC.
Different Pinion length and u-joint size.
45 is right, 77-79 Bronco or F150 setup is the way to go if you can source one. Plenty of good cast wedge axles still floating around here in the south.
SD coil buckets bolt up, or you can weld up the tops of the TTB ones to fit the SD coils
use the SD radarms and frame brackets, hell, even the track bar bracket pretty much bolts up
steering linkage ain't bad, you just use a 4wd f350 pitman to get the full steering range
big bore MC from an f-superduty is like $20
front driveshafts are easy to cobble

·
Registered
23,371 Posts

Most convenient stores have those little stands with free realtor and whatnot rags. They work just fine. :D

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
SD coil buckets bolt up, or you can weld up the tops of the TTB ones to fit the SD coils
use the SD radarms and frame brackets, hell, even the track bar bracket pretty much bolts up
steering linkage ain't bad, you just use a 4wd f350 pitman to get the full steering range
And you might as well throw a the $150 10-1/4 in the rear and buy some matching wheels. After you've replace the axle bearnings, brakes...etc.

I'm with 45....throw a HP44 in it and ride. Most people aren't bouncing their DD. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
A SD 60 pretty much bolts up to a big bronco? Sweet!

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I'm with 45....throw a HP44 in it and ride. Most people aren't bouncing their DD. :flipoff2:
Do you really want to be the guy that passes up an opportunity to wheel his DD because he's afraid of the 44 breaking. :flipoff2:

A SD 60 pretty much bolts up to a big bronco? Sweet!
It's for a vehicle with damn near the same frame width that uses the same steering geometry with coils. It can only be so hard to swap.

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
Do you really want to be the guy that passes up an opportunity to wheel his DD because he's afraid of the 44 breaking. :flipoff2:
With decent axles and joints a 44 will hold up just fine. I beat on them for years with 36's and 38's without issue. 38's however was as far as I wanted to push them. 39.5 and up I'd recommend a 60.

Detroit in the front and spooled 9" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

sawdust and waste oil

3301 - 3320 of 6681 Posts