Pirate 4x4 banner

3561 - 3580 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Picked up another 8.1L 4x4 dually today with only 92k. If I didn't already have it sold to a client, I'd keep it for another haul truck.

I'm convinced only a retard would buy a 6.0 Ford, there's way too many other good trucks out there.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Interview went OK this morning for a completely different type of job. Have a secondary Interview at the location I said I was more interested at a time TBD. They seemed to like me and what skills I brought to the table. The guy that walked me out(friend of a friend that works there) told me to embellish on some of my answers and bring up more mechanical stuff I’ve done. Thankfully there was no “tell me about a time when..” questions

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Interview went OK this morning for a completely different type of job. Have a secondary Interview at the location I said I was more interested at a time TBD. They seemed to like me and what skills I brought to the table. The guy that walked me out(friend of a friend that works there) told me to embellish on some of my answers and bring up more mechanical stuff I’ve done. Thankfully there was no “tell me about a time when..” questions
When are they shooting an offer?! Marathon will take a bit... moves slow.
You n the fam hitting the parade tonight? See yall there....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
I went in to work early today, so I could get off early to build cabinet doors and drawers for the kitchen cabinets I rebuilt last weekend. Came home took a nap instead and don't feel like doing shit but drinking beer now:laughing:

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
6.uh-oh problems up in the hood. Last month the EGR delete in my F250 decided to spring a leak. Best I could tell it was the blue silicone hose causing the slight drip. Off comes the turbo, intake manifold, wiring harness; basically 4 hours worth of disassembly and 4 of reassembly. Well, that wasn't the issue and my drip was now a full blown leak at that point. I had other things to focus my efforts on and stuck it on the back burner. Fast forward a month and I finally had time today to take it all apart again. This time I found the o ring that had failed. So $1.29 later it's all good again.

Which is great because Monday my other 6.0 F350 dropped an injector and now it has a clogged EGR tube due to the 500 miles of limping I did rounding out our trip through Missouri.

So I guess I'm doing oil cooler, 8 new injectors, an EGR delete and FICM this weekend. I could just weld up the EGR and replace one injector but I'm kinda tired of doing shit to these trucks. Just gonna bite the bullet and do it all at once. It's at 167k miles so I'm sure it's going to start acting up otherwise. That 170'ish thousand mile mark is a tough one.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
When are they shooting an offer?! Marathon will take a bit... moves slow.
You n the fam hitting the parade tonight? See yall there....:flipoff2:
Don’t know when/if at all. It’s the place Max works for. I said I preferred the Mare Island Shop soni need toninterview with them too. One of the guys was there today, the other couldn’t make it.
Haven’t heard anything from marathon.
No parade tonight

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
6 months later and my cummins VE injection pump that i completely rebuilt on my front porch is still working flawlessly :grinpimp: cost me less than 100$

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
6.uh-oh problems up in the hood. Last month the EGR delete in my F250 decided to spring a leak. Best I could tell it was the blue silicone hose causing the slight drip. Off comes the turbo, intake manifold, wiring harness; basically 4 hours worth of disassembly and 4 of reassembly. Well, that wasn't the issue and my drip was now a full blown leak at that point. I had other things to focus my efforts on and stuck it on the back burner. Fast forward a month and I finally had time today to take it all apart again. This time I found the o ring that had failed. So $1.29 later it's all good again.

Which is great because Monday my other 6.0 F350 dropped an injector and now it has a clogged EGR tube due to the 500 miles of limping I did rounding out our trip through Missouri.

So I guess I'm doing oil cooler, 8 new injectors, an EGR delete and FICM this weekend. I could just weld up the EGR and replace one injector but I'm kinda tired of doing shit to these trucks. Just gonna bite the bullet and do it all at once. It's at 167k miles so I'm sure it's going to start acting up otherwise. That 170'ish thousand mile mark is a tough one.
Fummins time? Such a badass truck with such a pos engine

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
So I picked up a 2000 lb crane off of a service truck today :)
Not sure if I am going to keep it or peddle it yet.
I would like to build another dump trailer with a longer tongue and mount it right on the front. It has a winch and a power up telescopic boom.:smokin:
I think I stole it. I gave the man what he was asking for it. :)

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
Fummins time? Such a badass truck with such a pos engine
Meh. The engine isn't that bad. It pulls fantastic and the transmission that backs it is amazing. We tow some heavy ass trailers that really limit what kind of trucks we can run. If I did go Cummins it would have to be hopped up or I'd need something late model. I finally sold my last 7.3 because it literally couldn't get to highway speeds with the out LQ trailer.

The F250 was completely trouble free for the first 130k miles. I knew it needed an oil cooler but we had just sold my 02 7.3 and needed it the weekend it failed. It really falls on me for chancing it. I certainly didn't think it would rupture and mix oil with coolant. But lessons were learned. So two years later I finally put an engine in it after buying a complete parts truck and now have all sorts of spare stuff for both trucks and my van.

The F350 is bone stock. It's been pretty great. We bought it at 100k miles and it now has 167k. It dropped a #7 and #5 injector after having a battery issue. I put the spare FICM on it after #5 went bad but it still might have a voltage issue. It's just one of those things where things snow ball with these trucks if you don't catch issues quickly. Probably the worst part about it is they still work just fine when there's a problem so most people get themselves in a lot of trouble that way.

So far I've been using used injectors from the spare engine that came out of the F250. I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy new parts and just do a bunch of preventive maintenance on the F350. We use these trucks too much and travel too far.

I have gone back and forth with the Cummins idea and it really comes down to transmission issues. Nobody has come up with a way to make the 5r110 shift correctly with a 5.9 in front of it due to the way it senses load. I don't hate the 6.0. It is a very complicated engine that I have a very good grasp on at this point. So I guess I'll just be like those Audi weirdos and enjoy my quarky cheap trucks that nobody else likes.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts

there's an 08 6.0 f450 on craigslist with a service body and crane for $3k with a blown up motor
I have the thought of buying it and dumping a detroit 453 or something into it that's got no wires
but then I remember what it'd cost to register and decide to keep my '93

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
there's an 08 6.0 f450 on craigslist with a service body and crane for $3k with a blown up motor
I have the thought of buying it and dumping a detroit 453 or something into it that's got no wires
but then I remember what it'd cost to register and decide to keep my '93
Yeah I wish my truck had the dana 110 or something more MDT. This is about all the motor my truck wants with a sterling.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I built one about 4 years ago. If I were to build one again, I would make a rear access instead of a hingged top although what you’re looking at on youtube may be different. Pic of mine for reference 10’x6’

Have plans and parts for one that is about 20x18. The front is the access and I think has 10ft tall doors. The back I think goes down to only 4ft, but we plan on making it taller so a forklift can be used to fill it.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Id love to find an 03-06 8.1 GMC CCLB drw Sierra 4x4 in dark blue with tan leather interior to replace my 02 8.1 XL as main tow rig.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
I bought a 02 Pathfinder about a year ago. 3.5/auto/4wd. Really clean body, nice BFG KO2's, Warn Premiums, nice black interior. Seemed like a good gamble. Well, turns out these things are worthless on the used market. Especially with 300k miles. We're talkin' sub $1500. The truck was a donation and seemed like it had a blown headgasket. Between the plethora of projects, the lack of value and my general distaste for working on Nissan's, I parked it off to the side of the garage and basically forgot about it.

Well, today I dug the ol' finder of paths out. After a good two hours of diagnostic testing and the "speshul" coolant bleeding process. It seems that it just had an air bubble in the system and is actually mechanically sound. :grinpimp: Heck, I can't find anything wrong with the whole truck... excluding the missing radio and a shock bushing that rattles. My best guess judging by the engine bay is someone put a new radiator in it and then didn't know how to get all the air bubbles out of the system and then called one of those cash for junk cars hotlines. I think I paid $350 for this thing. I need to find the paperwork. But I am kind of pumped. I had basically written this truck off in my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Nice!
In 07 or so I bought a really clean 98 civic, bad head gasket. Disappearing coolant, compression tested good, sniffers good, pressure tested good. Typed off, drove to work, all good. After my shift, I pop the hood, radiator empty, overflow jug full. Bad radiator cap. Gas was $4.50 a gallon that summer, it was a good flip :grinpimp:

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Got a call last Monday from my boss while i was on vacation.

Another division of the company reached out to HR who reached out to him about me as the primary candidate for a position.

I was in unofficial talks about 1.5 months back on a position for this division that was a friends old position he recommended me for, some things changed at work and the wife & I are now interested/willing to move as a result, however position was backfilled when i asked my friend about it.

Details provided to me on the brief call were vague but i was asked if i wanted to pursue the position and was under the assumption it was this one and maybe my friend was wrong. Asked if so & so was the manager, he was unsure really of any details outside of a job title that was similar enough in nature. Told my boss i had some questions that i needed answered but yes i was interested in pursuing.

Haven't heard anything since which is understandable with the 4th & Friday we shut the shop down, so i rang up my friend to talk to him today briefly. Position is for sure backfilled...So here i sit wondering for the next 18 hrs WTF is the position they're interested in me for and hope i'm not stuck moving forward if it's not what i thought it was.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Picked up another 8.1L 4x4 dually today with only 92k. If I didn't already have it sold to a client, I'd keep it for another haul truck.

I'm convinced only a retard would buy a 6.0 Ford, there's way too many other good trucks out there.
Im over diesel pickups for the most part. Especially newer ones. I have my '97 F250 and I doubt I'll buy another newer diesel in the foreseeable future. V10 Fords will do what I want for the most part. If not, I'll use the semi.

On a kind of related note...the blower fan in the sleeper of a semi truck will kill the 4 batteries in approx 12hrs if left running overnight. :homer:

3561 - 3580 of 6681 Posts