Pirate 4x4 banner

3941 - 3960 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
[QUOTE='[486]]"nice job honey, I see there's a 97 accord on craigslist for $200 that just needs a transmission and doesn't have a title. With what he gave you you can get that one"[/QUOTE]

Yep, she seems to think spending much more on a new beater makes more sense than me having a look at it and doing the work myself. Why fix one issue when you can gamble on a whole new shitbox.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Yep, she seems to think spending much more on a new beater makes more sense than me having a look at it and doing the work myself. Why fix one issue when you can gamble on a whole new shitbox.
Seemingly basic logic is often lost...

What car is it, some of the unit bearings can be a bit costly, but most of them are dead easy to swap out with the right tools.

Remove tire, remove caliper bracket (w caliper), pull rotor, remove 3-4 bolts, remove center nut, beat old one out (air hammer for the win- or reinstall tire and use PS box and a block of wood to walk it out), apply wire brush, apply never seize, reverse order.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
[QUOTE='[486]]well when you put it that way, it is a front wheel bearing

got any d60 fronts laying around?[/QUOTE]
Just some axletech 5000s :D
DozerDan said:
Seemingly basic logic is often lost...

What car is it, some of the unit bearings can be a bit costly, but most of them are dead easy to swap out with the right tools.

Remove tire, remove caliper bracket (w caliper), pull rotor, remove 3-4 bolts, remove center nut, beat old one out (air hammer for the win- or reinstall tire and use PS box and a block of wood to walk it out), apply wire brush, apply never seize, reverse order.
01 ford escape. If I recall from sourcing parts for the rear, front hub, bearing and hardware kit is around $50. Rear bearing came out in pieces and was a bitch. The hub goes through the bearing onto the axle, bearing was was naturally seized in the hub.At least I have experience for the front now.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
I'm not sure how far off suggested search results can be, but damn they didn't get any better the more i typed :rasta:

search results.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
It's only Wednesday and it's already been a long fucking week, and it ain't getting any better......

Left Dallas Sunday afternoon and drove to Mccamey, Tx so I could be on a jobsite first thing Monday. Got a call Monday afternoon from another customer, right before I finished up the first job, who needed my services out in Hobbs, NM. Left Mccamey and drove to Hobbs. Took a look at the rig and it ended up needing parts overnighted to me to repair. Got the parts this morning, made the repair and GTFO of there. Made it back to Lamesa, Tx and the phone rings again..... Customer in El Paso wants me out there to disassemble his rig as soon as I can. 5.5hrs later I get to their shop. From the looks of it I'm going to be here until Friday afternoon. I'm 9.5hrs away from the house and will not be home until sometime Saturday.

AND THE GIANT KICK IN THE BALLS FOR THE WEEK.....

Parts for another rig up in Wyoming just showed up at my shop from the factory in Italy. I have to load up the parts Saturday afternoon and head up to Medicine Bow, Wyoming Sunday morning so I can be on site Monday.

So, right now I'm sitting at the hotel bar getting fucked up on Long Island Ice Teas dreading my 9.5hr and then 17hr drives I have coming in the next few days.

I love my job......

·
Hophead
77,610 Posts
what kind of equipment you work on? That's a hell of a lot of driving literally in the middle of no where

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
It's only Wednesday and it's already been a long fucking week, and it ain't getting any better......

Left Dallas Sunday afternoon and drove to Mccamey, Tx so I could be on a jobsite first thing Monday. Got a call Monday afternoon from another customer, right before I finished up the first job, who needed my services out in Hobbs, NM. Left Mccamey and drove to Hobbs. Took a look at the rig and it ended up needing parts overnighted to me to repair. Got the parts this morning, made the repair and GTFO of there. Made it back to Lamesa, Tx and the phone rings again..... Customer in El Paso wants me out there to disassemble his rig as soon as I can. 5.5hrs later I get to their shop. From the looks of it I'm going to be here until Friday afternoon. I'm 9.5hrs away from the house and will not be home until sometime Saturday.

Parts for another rig up in Wyoming just showed up at my shop from the factory in Italy. I have to load up the parts Saturday afternoon and head up to Medicine Bow, Wyoming Sunday morning so I can be on site Monday.

So, right now I'm sitting at the hotel bar getting fucked up on Long Island Ice Teas dreading my 9.5hr and then 17hr drives I have coming in the next few days.

I love my job......

Got to love it. I am not nearly that bad, but been on the road a bunch lately. Leave Monday again for Canada, should be interesting because after talking to the customer I feel I am out of my element for what they want to do, but I am told 'you got this' so I guess I do??

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
what kind of equipment you work on? That's a hell of a lot of driving literally in the middle of no where
Company I work for imports, sells and services specialized vertical drilling equipment that is made in Italy. Think giant drill press on tracks. Our bigger units are capable of drilling 25' diameter holes up to 300ft deep. They are used in the oil fields to drill mouse/rat holes, building & bridge foundations, and a bunch of other things that require big ass holes in the ground through solid rock. First job I was at on Monday was for a huge powerline/windmill company out of Weatherford, Tx. Job yesterday was for National Oilwell Varco on a drill site, and today's job is for a company that does state/government work along the border.

I honestly do love my job. I get to go to some cool ass places to work on rigs and get paid well to do it, so I really cant complain.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Got to love it. I am not nearly that bad, but been on the road a bunch lately. Leave Monday again for Canada, should be interesting because after talking to the customer I feel I am out of my element for what they want to do, but I am told 'you got this' so I guess I do??
I get that shit from my company all the time. Got a call 3 weeks ago from the main office telling me I have to drive to St Louis to disassemble, move and reassemble the biggest piece of drilling equipment the manufacturer in Italy makes. I didnt even know there was one in the country, but apparently their was and I was going to move it. No directions, no books, no nothing. Just a "get it on the truck" from the main office. Yay me

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
I get that shit from my company all the time. Got a call 3 weeks ago from the main office telling me I have to drive to St Louis to disassemble, move and reassemble the biggest piece of drilling equipment the manufacturer in Italy makes. I didnt even know there was one in the country, but apparently their was and I was going to move it. No directions, no books, no nothing. Just a "get it on the truck" from the main office. Yay me
Sounds familiar. So we need you to go to 'X' Okay, what am I doing- 'you will fig it out when you are there' okay then.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
judging by your pictures in the background, the difference is a tube around the outside
seems to be the jist of it, i was curious if there was a more clear line from the ATF and there seems to be not one.

so next step is to build a rather gaudy muzzle device for the sole purpose of recoil control :rasta:

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Just got back from a 16 hour road trip to buy this.

Hoping to start a rental business with it.

I will be changing it a decent amount. Some paint, wide wheels / tires / fenders.

Hoping to build one myself this winter so I can start with 2 of them next year.

They are Miata running gear / suspension mounted to new frame.

Weigh 1,500 lbs.

Jesus fuck. Seriously. Are you a comedian?

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,956
Just got back from a 16 hour road trip to buy this.

Hoping to start a rental business with it.

I will be changing it a decent amount. Some paint, wide wheels / tires / fenders.

Hoping to build one myself this winter so I can start with 2 of them next year.

They are Miata running gear / suspension mounted to new frame.

Weigh 1,500 lbs.

Who is going to rent it and for how much? How do you insure that thing as a rental? Seems like it would be easy to crash and die in spectacular fashon.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Got to start one of(the boat has 2)the V-16 MTU DIESEL Engine on one of the boats to find an exhaust leak in the jet room. These things are cool. Individual cylinder heads instead of one big head. Easier to do valve cover and head gaskets when needed.
Starting engine swap to replace both engines starting tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

I love my job......
Hiring because that's right up my alley :D

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Got a hair up my butt this week to start back on my Buick project car. Working on one of the doors got it nice a straight. Laided down 2 nice coats of Black Base Coat. Finish up the 3rd coat and paint drips from the gun. Used the last bit of base I had and now I get to sand it all down and start again.

Attachments

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Company I work for imports, sells and services specialized vertical drilling equipment that is made in Italy. Think giant drill press on tracks. Our bigger units are capable of drilling 25' diameter holes up to 300ft deep.
You cannot drop a bomb like that and walk away without pics!!

3941 - 3960 of 6681 Posts