Pirate 4x4 banner

4661 - 4680 of 6681 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Bought a dually dodge that blew the KDP, busted cover but runs. I don't want to pull the camshaft, but it takes a $900 puller to pull the cam gear in the truck. I think I'm going to fab one.

Drug it home with my theft recovery duramax, that was wrecked and wouldn't start, which was brought home with the tow truck I wasn't allowed to drive before purchase. I've never actually test driven a diesel truck that I've bought :smokin:

·
Premium Member
14,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,664
trying to get my post count up , so i can view pictures
PM Overbear about getting it up and working. He'll get you all fixed up

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Bought a dually dodge that blew the KDP, busted cover but runs. I don't want to pull the camshaft, but it takes a $900 puller to pull the cam gear in the truck. I think I'm going to fab one.
don't they got the tapped holes for a normal puller? I know the injection pump gear does...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
KarlVP; said:
That's commitment right there.
I should probably be committed. Saw a few turkeys out in the wind and snow, no deer. Came in early to clear snow. Currently trying to mentally prepare myself for the normal soul crushing hell that will resume tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
don't they got the tapped holes for a normal puller? I know the injection pump gear does...
No, it takes a 3 jaw puller, but the cam retainer bolts in behind it, so at any given time you can only get 2 fingers of the puller in. The proper way is to pull the cam, after removing/ securing valve train, pulling cooling stack, brush guard, jacking engine up 10 inches to clear the bumper. The flat rate way is to use the special puller, then hold the cam with a pry bar thru the fuel pump mount, heat the gear in oven and tap it on.

I know some guys just jb weld the broken piece back in and rock out, I'm starting to think that might work :laughing:

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
No, it takes a 3 jaw puller, but the cam retainer bolts in behind it, so at any given time you can only get 2 fingers of the puller in. The proper way is to pull the cam, after removing/ securing valve train, pulling cooling stack, brush guard, jacking engine up 10 inches to clear the bumper. The flat rate way is to use the special puller, then hold the cam with a pry bar thru the fuel pump mount, heat the gear in oven and tap it on.

I know some guys just jb weld the broken piece back in and rock out, I'm starting to think that might work :laughing:
man, fuck all that noise
sawzall you a nice hole in that core support, then drill and tap some puller holes in the gear

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
man, fuck all that noise
sawzall you a nice hole in that core support, then drill and tap some puller holes in the gear
Well, since I need to salvage a timing cover from another engine, i have 2 gears to pull, the economics of making a tool starts making sense. It sucks, but if this shit was easy, everybody would do it :homer:

·
What did you expect?
12,759 Posts
WTF?

This is in a survey response, sent to my manager; "I was not given the coupon pricing even though it was in the mailbox 2 days later."

So, you didn't HAVE a coupon, didn't ask for a discount, and you're mad at me?

Damn, I hate people sometimes. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
14,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,676
WTF?

This is in a survey response, sent to my manager; "I was not given the coupon pricing even though it was in the mailbox 2 days later."

So, you didn't HAVE a coupon, didn't ask for a discount, and you're mad at me?

Damn, I hate people sometimes. :laughing:

I've pulled that shit at home depot twice in the last month, haha. I swear they wait untill I buy something and put it on sale the next day.

$3500 counters purchased at closing.... next morning that exact brand/style/color 10% off.

$5000 appliance package. $2900 the next day

·
Hophead
77,590 Posts
I've pulled that shit at home depot twice in the last month, haha. I swear they wait untill I buy something and put it on sale the next day.

$3500 counters purchased at closing.... next morning that exact brand/style/color 10% off.

I would ask them to price match

·
Registered
10,513 Posts

I know some stores do a “price adjustment” within 30 days or something like that

4661 - 4680 of 6681 Posts