Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Well, this just bites a big one. I hope that the USFS didn't wave some revenue under their noses. The counties get money for schools and a portion from logging sales due to the loss of a tax base created from government land ownership.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Copied from the facebook page:
If the issue is not resolved or heading to a definite conclusion by Saturday the 13th of this month I personally plan to take direct action and open the road myself. The outragous overreaches of the federal authorities have to stop and regardless of how the Is are dotted and the Ts crossed it seems to me the PEOPLE have the right to determine the use of their own resources. I urge all of you to join me at 9am on the 13th of this month where we will give the authorities a day to remember! Who's with me?!

Like it says lets get out there and show them that sowing confusion and doubt will not work any better than intimidation. We will not simply let the issue drop... They are our employees and its time they realized it. I WILL run that trail on the 13th and I hope I'll have a lot of company.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Copied from the facebook page:
If the issue is not resolved or heading to a definite conclusion by Saturday the 13th of this month I personally plan to take direct action and open the road myself. The outragous overreaches of the federal authorities have to stop and regardless of how the Is are dotted and the Ts crossed it seems to me the PEOPLE have the right to determine the use of their own resources. I urge all of you to join me at 9am on the 13th of this month where we will give the authorities a day to remember! Who's with me?!

Like it says lets get out there and show them that sowing confusion and doubt will not work any better than intimidation. We will not simply let the issue drop... They are our employees and its time they realized it. I WILL run that trail on the 13th and I hope I'll have a lot of company.
man, i respect this 110% and will back you in any way I can, but i'm goin to be in Nashville that weekend. but by god, if you would wanna take the bull by the horns, i got some boys wantin to do some riding the 20th. and the narrows, would be the place to do said riding. strength in numbers, brother

·
Registered
775 Posts
Guarantee this is the Forest Service stalling somehow after seeing the mounting pressure from you guys. Keep up the pressure and interest. Need to show the federal gov't that they work for us, not the other way around.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey guy, lots of people have been in touch wanting to show support but many say the 20th would be a better day. So the new official date is the 20th of this month. Please spread the word and let everyone know that this time we will not back down! I will continue to be in touch with the media to make sure they are kept informed... I am sure there will be plenty of coverage on the ground at that time.

I would also just like to mention that this in no way detracts from the excellent work judge Anderson is doing. I am confident he is trying his very best and will continue to do so but without support from some other levels of government his hands may be tied. Who knows maybe he does come out on top and the road is open... Maybe our drop dead date will force those in opposition to back down. But in the mean time I say we plan to go at it alone because I suspect that's what it will come down to.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey all for those who might be interested here is a run down of media coverage so far (in order of appearance):
U.S. Forestry Service and Powell County Judge Battle Over Road « The Country Classics & The Best Songs From Today | 100.7 The Coyote | WCYO-FM

Powell County Judge Executive and U.S. Division of Forestry Wrangling Over Closed Road | LEX18.com | Lexington, Kentucky

WKYT - Home - Headlines

We have tipped LEX18 about this page so they can follow along with developments and encourage anyone to tip any other media outlets about this page and the event on the 20th. Arrests are far less likely if the media is there so coverage will definitely help us out! Please continue to share this cause with everyone... Just imagine the look on the feds faces if 100+ vehicles show up all at once!

I also encourage you all to contact any politicians you feel like. I will be in touch with the Powell and Wolfe co sheriffs as there presence would be a MAJOR help.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
If 100 people show up to support taking something that is in litigation, we will likely never get the road back open...

Definitely get the information as to why Judge Anderson stopped. There has to be something legal causing the issue.

Having a mob of offroaders and hikers trespass and destroy federal property on a federal wildlife preservation would pretty much destroy any hope of keeping Slade open.

I like the idea, but going in without all the facts could potentially ruin everything for us

·
Registered
744 Posts
If 100 people show up to support taking something that is in litigation, we will likely never get the road back open...

Definitely get the information as to why Judge Anderson stopped. There has to be something legal causing the issue.

Having a mob of offroaders and hikers trespass and destroy federal property on a federal wildlife preservation would pretty much destroy any hope of keeping Slade open.

I like the idea, but going in without all the facts could potentially ruin everything for us
This would NOT be an illegal action. The law is on OUR side... It is the feds that are doing something illegal.
We need to come prepared... Not as a mob but as an organized group. We must be polite but determined, everyone needs to come armed with the facts and a determination to do what's right.
The folks in Colorado did not have road crews on their side and had way lead media coverage and their situation turned very well. The important thing to remember is that WE are in the right on this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
that's what I am saying, we need to have all the facts and our ducks in a row. Something caused Anderson to back off. We need to find out why so we don't show up and then the rangers have some "pocket full of aces" that blows up in our faces.

I read it wrong. The way it seem on the book of faces was that everyone was going down there and just fuckin takin that shit! Yea! Eff the police kind of thing.

An organized group with law enforcement and media backing with facts that prove the forest service wrong would be perfect. We just need to all be on the same page. We definitely need to find out why Anderson stopped. That is the biggest thing that has me staying at bay right now.

·
Registered
744 Posts
that's what I am saying, we need to have all the facts and our ducks in a row. Something caused Anderson to back off. We need to find out why so we don't show up and then the rangers have some "pocket full of aces" that blows up in our faces.

I read it wrong. The way it seem on the book of faces was that everyone was going down there and just fuckin takin that shit! Yea! Eff the police kind of thing.

An organized group with law enforcement and media backing with facts that prove the forest service wrong would be perfect. We just need to all be on the same page. We definitely need to find out why Anderson stopped. That is the biggest thing that has me staying at bay right now.
Of course there is some element of anger as there always needs to be in this sort of situation but in this case is definitely justified anger and the facts are on our side. I would urge everyone who is even considering attending to email [email protected]. I will use this email to co-ordinated the event, send out updates and arm everyone with the facts of the situation. As someone mentioned earlier it is better if we come to the scene better prepared than the feds.

Interestingly one of the roadblocks that was raised to judge Anderson appears to be crumbling: there was concern that the nature conservancy involvement (used their funds to buy some of the land I think) may have trumped the co road. Jeff spoke with nature conservancy today and they informed him that county roads maintained, or otherwise are not in any way affected by their involvement. There are still more issues and even if those are resolved that doesn't mean the feds will not throw up more stuff but that's one less thing for us to worry about.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I've shot an email to the address listed.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
This is what Jeff posted over on KK:

wayneraintree said:
The judge is working through the issues in order to legitimately reopen the road using the power of his position through diligence.

When he has these things worked out and responsibly directs his county crew, I will be there to support him and the county crew. That could happen before or after the date posted on the FB page. The FB page is not mine or Judge Anderson's so the information there is not reflecting exactly the positions we are taking.

We scheduled the reopening based on having the law completely on our side and all questions answered. Since they saw that we are serious and very close to getting all the kinks in the chain worked out.... a few things need to be addressed. The inter-county agreement has to be voted on by both Wolfe and Powell County fiscal courts (instead of just signed by both judges), the nature conservancy land trumping the county road possibly (I resolved this today, it does not, the county road stands no matter the purchaser of the land) and the interpretation of the statutes regarding county roads needs clarified as it relates to the unique nature of Sand Lick Road (as in it is a county road but the mileage listed on the county road index has been eroded mysteriously over the years)... but we are making progress even today and the judge and I are more determined than ever since we are right and it is the right thing to do.

As exemplified by the fact that we opened it once already, as soon as the questions are answered, we will move forward with haste... every push and shove between the county and USFS is getting us closer to a result. As recently as two weeks ago, the narrows was all but forgotten, now we have a path, albeit a bumpy one....
wayneraintree said:
... and yes, there is almost six miles of county road affected by the proposed Sand Lick Wetland project...... and the judge is not giving away an inch.

When the FS comes out with their scoping notice, it will be very interesting because there are so many high level politicians throwing kinks in their chain based on the county road issue... we have certainly succeeded in delaying their project. It will take a high level of organization to keep them off balance, oh yea, it will also take unity on our part. Unity is achieved by following the power of the county, that is our answer, support the county.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
More from yesterday

wayneraintree said:
A special agent forest ranger with an unmarked no official plated Tahoe stood watch on the road today. Back seat had two automatic weapons and a bean bag crowd control rifle... I would say we've struck a nerve and yes, their determination shows and that's not all it shows.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Few of us are going out there this weekend camping and wheeling. I'll let you guys know what we find/see. I'll have my camera too :beer:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Few of us are going out there this weekend camping and wheeling. I'll let you guys know what we find/see. I'll have my camera too :beer:
Anything new?

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Anything new?
Not that I seen. We went around the Big Bend area and there was really nothing different. Didn't see anyone staked out at the Narrows, but they did dig it out pretty good (failure for no pictures of this) I would have snapped one of the forest ranger, but he wasn't there (or at least not visible) when we came through

141 - 160 of 190 Posts