Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 efi with a rod knock,can I use an 86 carb long block that I have now? Will it run ok? I know that the heads are different but how will it run? Will it have good power? I know it may not have the same power as the original efi engine, but will it have the same as the carb engine? I want to spend the least amount of money right now and maybe rebuild the efi block later.I just need to get the truck running cheap.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey Scott,

If the head has 20 threaded holes on the intake side it will work with the EFI. I think the only difference is the cam, but it should run ok.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the pistons are different. One has dome pistons and one has flat top poistons. So the heads would be different.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
flimmy oh no yuor truck is broke. And I was plannin' on comin' up soon. Talk to ya later.........

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Offroadrunner,no my truck isn't broke.Well yes and no.The clutch slave cyl went out a week ago and I have the parts to fix.The 4runner is ok also.The eng with the rod knock is in a friends truck.He wants to change it to a carb and I say leave it a efi just use a carb long block.I have 2 carb engines and he has 1.I think it will run ok maybe just down on power for an efi.When do you guys think you may be up? Are you going to go to the toy only run in Waynesboro?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did this exact swap a year ago and it worked great. However both of my longblocks were the fattop piston style.
The raised pistons were the earlier style and will not mix

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wes, do you know what years and models had flat top pistons and which had the dome pistons?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think 84 and up are flats but maybey its 85up. also the flatys usually had the single row timing chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts