Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im swapping in my chevy into a 98 TJ and really want to keep the factory gages, I have removed the PCM and engine related wiring. Has anyone done this ?? From looking at the wiring diagram the temp. and oil senders go to the PCM... From there I look at the cluster diagram and all i see is power wires for the lights and warning indicators, a few "twisted pair" from the PCM and came to a dead end. I was planning on using the jeep sending units and cut/spliceing into the cluster harness but just by looking at the wiring diagrams it may not be possible. Any help or Ideas would be awesome !

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
you have to keep a portion of the factory wiring harness and and the factory PCM intact.. the gauge cluster operates off signals from the pcm and those signals can be replicated without it(maybe somebody like dakota digital makes something for this). basically you have to re use all you factory sending units and pcm, and make the pcm think it is taking readings from the original engine... i dont think you will be able to get the factory tach to work still.on the few swaps i have done, i just built a new cluster plate that fit in the factory gauge cluster, that held all auto meter gauges

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We did a 6.0 swap in a TJ and nobody makes anything to make your guages work. You can't make the tach or oil pressure work with a different PCM. The OP guage accually operates from the tach signal. The best thig to do is run a new set of Autometers or one of there new tach's with the OP and water temp built right in. This is what were changing to. The stock guage panel has a computer in it that interprets the incomming signals. Any V8 swap has a different crank signal that the stock single bump 6 cylinder signal. Get after market guages and start there, you'll save yourself alot of headaches.

·
Registered
309 Posts
350 swap

i did a 350 swap in my tj, i kept the computer and all i could get to work was the speedo, gas guage and volt guage

·
Registered
226 Posts
I talked to novak who claims you can send them your cluster, they in turn send it somewhere else. And the tach will more or less get new guts that will work. The cost sucks though. (from what they said)

Bear in mind Novak is not too great at setting realistic expectations and hearing other results from them other than just mine I would never send them a penny again. After market gauges arent too expensive and can look great. They will also be far more accurate.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Like has been said you must run the stock sensors through the stock PCM. I did this on my 98TJ/4bt swap and all but the tach works including the speedo. I can make the tach work but I just haven't got around to it yet.
X2 what TheRookie said about those liars at Novak, I will never spend another dime there.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks, I've read all the posts about running the stock PCM in piggy back. I was wondering if anyone actually solved the problem of talking directly to the dash or interfacing via an aftermarket module of sorts... Sounds like the answer is still no...

NP... Looks like I'll be putting aftermarket gauges in.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Mast Motorsports sells a CAN-BUS style wiring harness for the GENIII GM engines.. I wounder if its compatable with TJ gauges since it uses can bus as well

·
Registered
364 Posts
Search 5.3's in Jeep thread. Been awhile since i read through it but I believe Wayne has it figured out. He's the one who did my "tune for life"

·
Registered
34 Posts
you can make nice gauge panel box with 1/8" aluminum plate, use a 2" hole saw to cut the holes for the gauges, I used stewart warner gauges including a mechanical real oil pressure coming off a fitting near the filter and real water temp with a brass probe

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here's my dash. I made this out of thin steel and used autometer gauges.
My set up is an AMC 401 in an LJ.
Speedometer is a GPS mounted over where the pass airbag used to go.

Ricky

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Like has been said you must run the stock sensors through the stock PCM. I did this on my 98TJ/4bt swap and all but the tach works including the speedo. I can make the tach work but I just haven't got around to it yet.
X2 what TheRookie said about those liars at Novak, I will never spend another dime there.
So you got oil pressure to work also? I just did a 6.0 swap in an 04 TJ and Im having issues with the oil pressure. Havnt got the tach working yet, but have the novak part coming for that. So is the tach drive the oil pressure like someone else mentioned? Doesnt make sense to me but it could be a jeep thing.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Does anyone make a TJ replacement dash kit you can buy?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts