Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a Suzuki Samurai with Toy CV joint at rear driveshaft but will swap stock axles for a set of Toy axles. But they are centered and Samurai tcase is for right side axles.

Due to the lenght of rear driveshaft I am concern about u joint angle at pinion side, so can I use other CV joint on same driveshaft? one up and one down?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I may be talking out of my ass on this one, but I would think there would be too many degrees of freedom.

I've never seen this type of setup (2 CV's) used on one shaft. But then again...driveshafts never were a "trick" item that would gain my interest because of my low attention span.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Some Caddys came with dual CV driveshafts. Not sure why exactly, probably so they would be ultra vibration free. I think a bigger concern would be the angles. CVs don't have as large of an operating angle. Could be a problem if you get all twisted up.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Used to drive a '61 Olds F-85 that had a dual CV shaft. It sucked - it had this washing-machine spin-cycle effect going down the road. It could've been that the POS sat so low to the ground the shaft had been bent on something, but I always thought that on a relatively straight shaft the dual CVs would allow the shaft to rotate around its own axis (too many degrees of freedom, just like was said). It had an appetite for CV parts too.

I'd love to have that little aluminum V8 for another project now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts