Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THE ROCK GODS
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to Mendo twice a year for diving, and the campgroung I always stay at is no longer. I was thinking of traveling farther North. Is anyone familiar with Usla Rd, above Fort Bragg? is there any good camping near the ocean? primative camping? how is the road? can I ride dirt bikes on the shore? many people? I have been checking it out on google earth and cant tell idf there is ocean access or if the cliffs are too big. wanted to take the family and friends up there for some ab diving, dirt biking, etc.

is there anything on the Bragg side or do I need to get closer to Shelter Cove?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
ya we go to there sometimes road is narrow and steep. class a motor home ok but not c. good surf fishing drive right on the beach. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Check out www.advrider.com Ride Report forum for lots of info on Usal Road. Also some info on www.bayarearidersforum.com

Check out the BLM website as well.

I'm pretty sure the roads are street legal only - no green/red sticker bikes. There is a campground with beach access ~8-10 miles from where Usal Rd starts off Hwy 1. I'm pretty sure it's tent only but I may be wrong - there is no way in hell I could get my 36ft 5th in & back out without significant damage.... A small Class C (van front end style) would probably be OK but I don't think I'd be taking a new rig there.

There are some additional CGs at the northern end by Shelter Cove.

Brian

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Not much in the way of riding, there's a 10mph speed limit, but you can drive on the beach. The road out of the campground may be ridable and not patrolled much. I plan to take taht road out next time I'm there. If you're looking for diving, I doubt it wihtout a boat. Nothing but sand and minimal rock outcroppings as far as I could hike/see along the coast.

I used to dive/camp out of Albion, not scenic at all, but great access, diving, fishing

·
Registered
253 Posts
B2Krawler,

Did you ever make it up there? I am thinking about doing the Usal road from North to South and wanted to get the current road condition since I won't be traveling with a group.

Anyone been up that way this summer?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is a link from earlier this year. I hope the link shows up. I could do it next weekend 10/05 if you want some company.
Hi W8ng4msrgt,

Thanks for the link! You have one of the best Blogs that I have ever seen. I appreciate you sharing your trips and pics with everyone.

It looks like the Usal road was pretty wet when you were there in March. I called the Mendocino County Transportation office yesterday and spoke with a friendly lady who said that the road was open all the way through. Let me finalize my plans and see when we might be in that area. It would be cool to meet up.

Ross

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi W8ng4msrgt,

Thanks for the link! You have one of the best Blogs that I have ever seen. I appreciate you sharing your trips and pics with everyone.

It looks like the Usal road was pretty wet when you were there in March. I called the Mendocino County Transportation office yesterday and spoke with a friendly lady who said that the road was open all the way through. Let me finalize my plans and see when we might be in that area. It would be cool to meet up.

Ross
Thanks Ross. Just let me know.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts