Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if california's newish utv laws apply to golf carts?

After last year's koh I decided it isn't worth bringing a utv to koh and have to wear helmets and not use the back seat just to take a ride from camp to hammertown. This year I wanted to bring my bone stock 6 seat golf cart, but not sure if the rangers will hassle me or not. It tops out at a whopping 13 mph, so it would be pretty lame if it required helmets too.

any input would be appreciated.

·
flamethrower
12,587 Posts

After last year's koh I decided it isn't worth bringing a utv to koh and have to wear helmets and not use the back seat just to take a ride from camp to hammertown. This year I wanted to bring my bone stock 6 seat golf cart, but not sure if the rangers will hassle me or not. It tops out at a whopping 13 mph, so it would be pretty lame if it required helmets too.

The law does not apply to golfcarts. :)

·
flamethrower
12,587 Posts
California UTV Helmet Law

Basically helmets have to be worn on all side by side vehicles. One exception is our 500cc ranger - it has no speedometer so technically it doesn't go over 30mph :smokin:

Anything capable of 30mph or more with 1000cc's or less (61ci).

For now it's California only. For the record it was pushed through by the manufacturers as an add on to a tax bill. No one ever saw it before it went to the floor, except maybe CORVA.

ROHVA were the folks who spear headed the legislation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the answer Bebe. btw, loved the thread on your dad's stuff.

to others interested in the law, I believe it also states that you can't have anyone sitting in a back seat unless it came from the factory with the back seat. Pretty dumb imo. most aftermarket back seats are better quality than stock, with better harnesses, and have far superior cages than stock.

·
Registered
415 Posts
thank you for the answer Bebe. btw, loved the thread on your dad's stuff.

to others interested in the law, I believe it also states that you can't have anyone sitting in a back seat unless it came from the factory with the back seat. Pretty dumb imo. most aftermarket back seats are better quality than stock, with better harnesses, and have far superior cages than stock.
That isn't the current law. It was amended:

CA Codes (veh:38600-38604)

In anything 2013 and older, you can have seats anywhere that is within the roll cage structure. 8 seat RZR's are ok. Bench front, bench rear, and a shorty bench out back, IF it's under the rollcage.

In anything 2014 or newer, it must be an OEM designated seating location.

38603. (a) A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle
with a model year of 2014 or later shall not allow a passenger to
occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the
manufacturer for a passenger.
(b) Seats that are installed in a separate seat location not
designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger in vehicles
with model year of 2013 or earlier may be occupied by a passenger if
the occupant of the seat is fully contained inside of the vehicle's
rollover protection structure at all times while the vehicle is being
operated.

And as to UTV's over 1000cc? They do(will) exist, they just won't be labeled the same, so technically they don't(won't) exist. There is a glaringly large loophole that at least one manufacturer is aware of.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but:

CVC Section 345 Golf Cart
Golf Cart
345. A "golf cart" is a motor vehicle having not less than three wheels in contact with the ground, having an unladen weight less than 1,300 pounds, which is designed to be and is operated at not more than 15 miles per hour and designed to carry golf equipment and not more than two persons, including the driver.

I doubt the rangers are going to know this but just lettin ya know.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Golf Cart
345. A "golf cart" is a motor vehicle having not less than three wheels in contact with the ground, having an unladen weight less than 1,300 pounds, which is designed to be and is operated at not more than 15 miles per hour and designed to carry golf equipment and not more than two persons, including the driver.

Not really bad news for the OP, as it doesn't matter what a golf cart is defined as.

This is the entire law for ROHV's:
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 16.5. OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES [38000 - 38604]
( Division 16.5 added by Stats. 1971, Ch. 1816. )

CHAPTER 8. Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles [38600 - 38604]
( Chapter 8 added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 165, Sec. 3. )

A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall be at least 16 years of age, or be directly supervised in the vehicle by a parent or guardian or by an adult authorized by the parent or guardian.

(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 165, Sec. 3. Effective January 1, 2013.)

A person shall not operate, or allow a passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle unless the person and the passenger are wearing safety helmets meeting the requirements established for motorcycles and motorized bicycles pursuant to Section 27802.

A person operating, and any passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle shall wear a seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness that is properly fastened when the vehicle is in motion.

(a) A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle with a model year of 2014 or later shall not allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.

(b) Seats that are installed in a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger in vehicles with model year of 2013 or earlier may be occupied by a passenger if the occupant of the seat is fully contained inside of the vehicle’s rollover protection structure at all times while the vehicle is being operated.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 179, Sec. 1. Effective August 27, 2013.)

(a) A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his or her back against the seatback, can grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness properly fastened.

(b) For purposes of this chapter, “occupant handhold” means any factory or aftermarket device grasped by an occupant to provide support and to assist in keeping arms and hands within the recreational off-highway vehicle. The steering wheel shall be considered an occupant handhold for the recreational off-highway vehicle operator.

(c) Occupant handholds shall be designed to allow the recreational off-highway vehicle passenger to exit the vehicle without interference from the handholds.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 179, Sec. 2. Effective August 27, 2013.)
The helmet law applies to ROHV's. So let's look at the definition of that:

Vehicle Code - VEH

DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED [100 - 680]
( Division 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:

(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.

(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.

(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.

(d) (1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.

(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

(e) Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 165, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2013.)

Golf Carts won't go 30+ mph, so they are NOT ROHV's, and as such the ROHV helmet law doesn't apply.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Golf Cart

You might not have to have helmets, but you also might not be able to carry 6 people in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts