Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Would the UTV fit in a truck with an 8ft bed?With the short bed I think I have seen people make up a new tailgate that has solid supports with the utv resting on it. I would stretch truck and put normal bed back on it or maybe see if you can swap for same type of truck but 8ft before making a ramp truck bed just to haul a utv. I mean the ramp idea inst bad but truck would lose a good bit of flexibility and become bit more of a one trick pony at that point, also the extended leverage on the frame might not be too bad but still doesnt sound like a good idea.

friskydingo your truck looks to have the rear axle pretty close to back of frame so I dont think you have near the leverage he would be looking at, again a light trailer isnt going to fold the frame or anything but its a good way to amplify tongue weight and trailer sway.

· Registered
418 Posts
I'm pretty set on keeping this particular truck for now until I build a dedicated cross country tow rig out of an obs I have. This one is already studded, deleted and has some other goodies, I've gone through pretty much everything mechanically on it, and it's optioned exactly how I want a truck to be, not to mention I paid cash for it 2.5 years ago.

An 8' bed truck would still take some ramp setup to work and tow a trailer, the sxs is about 114" overall length. I'm not too concerned about losing utility, I have several trailers of various style (car, dump, utility, gooseneck), if anything it will make the truck a little more useable for hauling pallets and such.
I can understand having the truck you want and it already being paid off. Are you thinking something like a 6.5-7' bed with 2-2.5' dovetail on it? I would only be worried about how far back that is going to put your cog with the utv and trailer tongue weight. Again I'm not thinking its going to snap your truck or anything like that but too much weight past the axle can make the truck handle pretty bad taking weight off front tires.

Just thinking out loud I realize not many people would think extending their WB is a option but you could probably extend it a few inches with no frame work just by sliding suspension back on frame or go even further and extend frame (either in center or at the back) but its all a good bit of work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.