Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NECKSTER FULLSIZE said you 2 had talked about this unit for oba. I have his old cj with that pump, and wanted to know how it worked out. it is missing the inlet/outlet fittings and also want to know what trucks/cars they came on. Brain thinks they put out more air then a york and have an oil resavor,Brain thought you 2 had a thread going in jeep or dodge fourms, I searched for a few hours and he said it may have been through PM's and suggested posting it to the bb as many may want to know, or I would have just PMed you. any and all info welcome, and the title will make a search easier in the future for others.

·
Registered
808 Posts
After speaking to several A/C guys, I'm pretty sure the Chrysler RV2 compressor will pump just as much as a york, maybe more. I have one mounted on my RC which will recieve an oba conversion this summer, so I can't tell you how it works yet.

The RV2 was used on all Mopar A/C cars and trucks from the '50's? until '79 or '80.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same. They have a larger displacment, and that is about all I know. I have 2 spares sitting in my garage. If you want the fittings (dunno if they are the right ones or not, i think one has hoses comming off of it, but i bet it could be reduced into a 3/8" air line).. if you want the inlet and outlet from one of mine... you pay shipping and they are yours.

Garrett

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hick said:
I am thinking about doing the same. They have a larger displacment, and that is about all I know. I have 2 spares sitting in my garage. If you want the fittings (dunno if they are the right ones or not, i think one has hoses comming off of it, but i bet it could be reduced into a 3/8" air line).. if you want the inlet and outlet from one of mine... you pay shipping and they are yours.

Garrett
sounds great, thank you. I do if they are the same, I will take a pic and post up this week, hope to tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
there all close enough. i've heard they put out alot of air, but i'm just not sure about the oiling. from what i've heard and discussed with others it has its own sump and oil doesn't blow-by like a york. anyone know?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
FULLSIZE said:
there all close enough. i've heard they put out alot of air, but i'm just not sure about the oiling. from what i've heard and discussed with others it has its own sump and oil doesn't blow-by like a york. anyone know?
Maybe i will take one apart and figure it out.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I ran one for about 4 years. They have a crankcase for the oil, so there is no oil blow by in the air. It is a little hit and miss with trying to find a good one at the wrecking yards. I got a couple that were worn out and would only put out 10 psi, and the best one I had was 70 psi constant- that was running a die grinder!! That was the first one I had, and I didn't realize that I should have checked the oil before I ever used.... cause she was a little too low. I still got 2 years out of that bad boy before it died on me.

I have found that they are easiest to find in dodge diplomats up until 1984 I believe. Those were a very popular car around here for some god-awful reason. As far as plumbing goes, I just put a K&N Filter on the inlet, then cut off the outlet so that it was about 2 inches long, then put 3/8 hose on. Very, very simple upgrade.

Things you will need to convert over:
Compressor
Compressor brackets and bolts
Alternator brackets and bolts
Alternator pully (or just take the whole alternator off the donor)
engine pullies
fan spacer

Hope this helps. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NECKSTER said:
I ran one for about 4 years. They have a crankcase for the oil, so there is no oil blow by in the air. It is a little hit and miss with trying to find a good one at the wrecking yards. I got a couple that were worn out and would only put out 10 psi, and the best one I had was 70 psi constant- that was running a die grinder!! That was the first one I had, and I didn't realize that I should have checked the oil before I ever used.... cause she was a little too low. I still got 2 years out of that bad boy before it died on me.

I have found that they are easiest to find in dodge diplomats up until 1984 I believe. Those were a very popular car around here for some god-awful reason. As far as plumbing goes, I just put a K&N Filter on the inlet, then cut off the outlet so that it was about 2 inches long, then put 3/8 hose on. Very, very simple upgrade.

Things you will need to convert over:
Compressor
Compressor brackets and bolts
Alternator brackets and bolts
Alternator pully (or just take the whole alternator off the donor)
engine pullies
fan spacer

Hope this helps. Good luck. ;)
Thank You! I have not looked it over, but I guess I can figuir out how to check the oil level?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is a fill plug towards the bottom. I just take out the plug, fill it up with whatever oil I happen to have layin around, and put the plug back in. :D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NECKSTER said:
There is a fill plug towards the bottom. I just take out the plug, fill it up with whatever oil I happen to have layin around, and put the plug back in. :D
Why Thank You! ....Thank you very much [in my best ELVIS voice]

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a chance to check it out, it works, but I can stop the pressure with my finger even at 1,500rpm so I'm off to the JY for another one:( oh well, at least the clutch is good, and this looks like the best type OBA pump around! V twin power, a sump with oil, allready mounted to a factory mounting system up at the top middle of the motor out of the way, can't get any sweeter then that!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Stupid question. Where is the input and where is the output?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I believe that the input is in the rear, and the output is on the front.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Got the pump installed and put oil in the fill tube. I assumed it was the plug on the left hand side of the pump towards the middle. Started up and ithas a lot of suck ( like it wants to suck my finger in ) but a rusty colored oil trickled out of the outlet tube. Think i may have overfilled the pump. Is that bad? Ran it till it dripps ever so slightly but ran out of time. Also, does the volume of air coming out of the outlet tube increase with RPM's?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brawler said:
Got the pump installed and put oil in the fill tube. I assumed it was the plug on the left hand side of the pump towards the middle. Started up and ithas a lot of suck ( like it wants to suck my finger in ) but a rusty colored oil trickled out of the outlet tube. Think i may have overfilled the pump. Is that bad? Ran it till it dripps ever so slightly but ran out of time. Also, does the volume of air coming out of the outlet tube increase with RPM's?
volum shoulds increase with RPM, I haven't installed my new JunkYard pump yet, but I will reply back when I do!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Screw it just mount an old harley motor to your hood with a long blet that'll pump out some air:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Just finnished reviving another old thread reguarding this v-twin chrysler compressor. Have not read anything here about this restriction device on the inlet side of these units. Some of the posters mentioned poor psi. Use a needle nose pliers and pull this stupit lookin choaker thing out of the inlet side(back, larger hole). This thing is about 7/8" dia. and at least 2" long, It also has a pig tail like copper tail that you need to grab and rip it out like a pit bull. if the whole cly shaped part comes out, your stylin.

I have not yet installed mine as I just got it yesterday and tore it apart today. Cant find a supplier for a rebuild/gasket kit. Any help here would be appreciated as I do not wish to try and duplicate those gaskets.

Anyone know if it would be a bad idea to plug the vent hole from the crankcase to the intake side of this thing? I fear that it could be intended to lube the heads/ tops of the compressor and may reduce the useful life of the compressor. On the other hand, seems that using this compressor as an oba systeme would enable it to suck oil into the air stream. I heard of some people pluging an oil hole in the york units to minimize oil in the air stream. Have not had any eperiance with york.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts