Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.
Here's where I'm at; I'm seriously considering doing the hated "chevy v-8 swap" into my '87 MJ. I read the article in JP and it piqued my interest but I thought it was pretty vague. I'm looking at building a mild (300 hp, 325 ft-lbs) small-block and putting a multi-port EFI (F-body TPI or aftermarket) setup on it. An all-aluminum engine would be sweet, but a little pricey. I've got a D44 for the rear and will be building up a D30 for the front swap (it's currently 2WD). I used to have the 2.5L motor but replaced it a long time ago with Chevy 4.3L so it would be just as much work for me to swap a 4.0 into it. Just looking for something a little different and unique.

I was just wondering, what sort of systems on the truck will give me problems? Any of you that has swapped a V-8, what sort of issues did you have? Anyone who's researched the swap, what did you find out? All opinions are welcome and needed. Thanks, guys.

Brent

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
1. keep the 4.3, its a good motor
2. dana 30 vs. V-8 = :nuke:
3. jeep 318 was a CAKE swap. :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about swapping the D30 but how many people are wheeling ZJs with a 318 and still have the D30? I think I can build it pretty strong and I don't plan on going really wild with the motor. I guess it won't hurt to try.....until it explodes!

What was the 318 swapped into? (Jeep didn't make the 318, by the way.)

Brent

·
Registered
469 Posts
Screep, is that what the new 318 is lookin like? only thing i recognize is the a/c location.

My 318

i dont think my 318 matches the torque of my 258 however.... and if it does, it does so at a higher RPM... so for me, my chrysler's 318 into my jeep is senseless...

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
281 Quad Cam said:

i dont think my 318 matches the torque of my 258 however.... and if it does, it does so at a higher RPM... so for me, my chrysler's 318 into my jeep is senseless...
83' 258 = 115hp, 210 lb/ft @ 2000rpm
94' 318 = 220hp, 285lb/ft @ 3600rpm.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Keep searching. There are plenty of threads that are ALREADY covering this swap. Do the math, research, and measure until you're sick of pulling the tape out.
Search and you too can be wise, grasshopper.

(dump the d30, I have grenaded one with a camaro 2.8L v6)

·
Registered
8 Posts
ya i think a small block is going to have to much power for that d30. i would consider keeping what you have. i dont really know but i have heard that doing the wiring harness for that swap can suck a fat one!

·
Registered
469 Posts
nice screep, my 318 lean burn clocks like 140 horses and im going to assume less torque, and even your EFI powerhouse does it at 3000+ RPM... but would you say (off the record ofcourse) the newer 318 swap is as easy as an LT1 SBC, or what? i would prefer the 318 if it is b/c i have severe loyalty to this motor after the last 60,000 miles behind a problem free one... this motor astounds me, flat out.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
281 Quad Cam said:
........... but would you say (off the record ofcourse) the newer 318 swap is as easy as an LT1 SBC, or what?
i have never done a LT1 swap, so i cant compare.

318 to cj-7

1. motor mounts. $100
2. connect 6 wires
3. route fuel
4. tranny x-member
5. drivelines
6. drive.

easily doable weekend swap, i shit you not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts