Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I dont see that happening with a V6 carrier though. the spider gears are enclosed in the carrier. ;)

I bought a spool for mine becuase after searching i still couldn't find anyone who has had long-term success with welding a V6 third. some people welded the spiders to the side of the carrier, but then you cant weld all the spiders becuase they're enclosed in the carrier. i think i remember someone welding the spiders together like a big ball, and that worked for them. i opted out on this one though, i've welded a ton of 4 cyl diffs, but i spent the coin on a spool for this one. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand I need to weld the spider gears togather but the hole is like 1" by 1". Do I have to split the case? Thanks Jason

·
Registered
854 Posts
search, there are a few threads on this. The general concensus is NO. There are pics in one thread of someone who took it apart and welded it solid, looks like a mini spool.

·
Registered
25,055 Posts
Some have tried splitting the case, then welding the spiders together as they sit in the half-of-a-case. Then try pulling that group out, drop it in the other side, and weld the other side of the gears.

It's a mini-spool design, since you don't weld to the case itself. You might sneak a bit of wire in there, but not much, and it's too easy for it to break lose.

As was said above, I don't recall anyone every having an long-term sucess with it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
you could send it here and we can do it. we have had great results. if you do it right it will be fine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Instead of welding gears together, I've heard of people welding the valleys between gear teeth so that theres no differential action. The gear teeth in the side gears of course.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have heard rumors that the high pinion fj front carriers will fit into the v6 housing. The carrier has a big hole in it and you can get to the spider gears easy.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
bigrocks2 said:
I have heard rumors that the high pinion fj front carriers will fit into the v6 housing. The carrier has a big hole in it and you can get to the spider gears easy.
yes you are correct on that

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks Guys! I don't mind sending the carrier off to you but the sipping cost would be the same as a spool ($103) and carrier bearings ($30) so I think I'll head that route Thanks Jason

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one more thing

One more thing to get you guys thinking. I have done this in dirt track race cars. Its really redneck as hell though. Cover all the holes and spiders with holes and melt some lead down and pour it in. Then you'll never break it. Its a heavy SOB but its tough as shit.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
jratoffroad said:
One more thing to get you guys thinking. I have done this in dirt track race cars. Its really redneck as hell though. Cover all the holes and spiders with holes and melt some lead down and pour it in. Then you'll never break it. Its a heavy SOB but its tough as shit.

That, my friend is GHET-TO.
I wish you wouldnt have even said that.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
sickfab said:
That, my friend is GHET-TO.
I wish you wouldnt have even said that.

I like the lead idea and have thought about it before. If I had a chunk of lead laying around I've give it a shot. If it doesn't break, who cares? Nothing wrong with a "leaded" diff. :D

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
jratoffroad said:
Did the same thing in the 60's in drag cars!!! I use to get all the lead I wanted when I worked at the State Printing Plant.
They used to make spider gears without all the teeth for Fords and Chevys.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad I'm not the only redneck here. I can't get it in mass supply but I have the tire shop save all the old wheel weights and melt them down and pull the metal part out and make Dirt track weights in the form mini bunt cake forms and old 55ish Chevy Valve covers. Bunt cake ones are perfect 25lbs and the covers full is 50lbs. Thanks Jason

·
Registered
450 Posts
There's no way i would ever use lead. I have done v6thirds and they're not hard to do.

You have to dissaseble them and get inside where the spiders are. Then you fill in the opposing teeth on each side of the meshing gears. Fozzy style welding.
I always use 7018 for diffs.

Here's a cheesy diagram i drew with paint to explain, don't laugh i'm not an artist haha

The areas with the arrows pointing is where the gears make contact with one another, so you're welding on either side. This locks the gears in place and works very well. The only way that would break would be if the gears climbed over the weld and if welded properly that isnt going to happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts