Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping dual t-cases into my 88 pickup with a 3.0 v-6. Marlin crawlers instructions are a bit vague, so I wanted to clarify things before I go and screw stuff up.

This is how I think its supposed to go.

Remove transmission output shaft seal. Install supplied toyota coupler onto the output shaft. Install supplied aluminum sleeve in recess where output shaft seal was. Have the seal end of the aluminum sleeve towards the t-case. Install t-case with adapter plate.

Is this the correct order of installation? I noticed that the coupler fits on the t-case input shaft very very snugly. Like im gonna have to beat it on....or suck it on with bolts when I'm drawing the tranny and t-case together.

V-6 guys, let me know how this swap went for you.

Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, you ended beating the coupler onto the output shaft....how easily did the coupler go onto the t-case input shaft? Mine seems to need persuasion right from the point that the splines meet.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i SERIOUSLY had to get busy with teh 3lb sledge to getmine on..tight fit on the splines

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine was very tight onto the trans output but not overly tight on the t-case input. Slid on and off fairly easily, you do have the 23 spline input in the front case to match the trans output, right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where all did you guys put silicone sealant? Did you apply it where the aluminum sleeve seats in old seal recess?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I have to beat mine on with a block of wood and a BFH. Also put some RTV on the splines of the coupler before you beat it on.
where all did you guys put silicone sealant? Did you apply it where the aluminum sleeve seats in old seal recess?
stop & read...

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Mine was done the easy way:
Acquire R151F tranny/dual cases to replace POS R150F/chaindrive case! I really thought about doing it that way, but the idea of having to buy 2 adapters seemed like a big waste of money especially since the R151F has the 4.31 first gear.
Wished I could have found one when I did it 11 years ago. That is why I did it.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Because the will leak gear oil from the tranny into the t-cases overfitting the t-cases and the tranny is low. Not bad on a trail rig that is trailered but on a DD, bad news!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, this truck sees some street miles. Thats why I want to make sure the t-case and trans get fully sealed from one another.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i didnt have to remove the tranny seal(2002)?? did i forget sumthing? maybe thats why it was soooo hard to get on, i was smashing a seal i was suppose to remove?? theres no way??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna try to swap this thing in this weekend. Is this the correct sequence?

Remove transmission output shaft seal. Install supplied toyota coupler onto the output shaft. Install supplied aluminum sleeve in recess where output shaft seal was. Have the seal end of the aluminum sleeve towards the t-case. Install t-case with adapter plate.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
from what i remember when we did mine... we installed the adapter onto the tranny, BEAT the coupler onto the output, RTV'd between the adapter and the sleeve, greased the seal in the sleeve, then finally installed the t-case (23 spline, no problem sliding it on)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
whats the seal mentioned above you need to remove? i didnt have a seal in there that needed removal?

my 'kit' came with no directions, but a drawing of the adapter with instuctions to grind on the tranny corner(i didnt have to do) and a bunch of bolts/seals i didnt need either...i got a combination of the old style 3.0 and taco 3.4 tranny adaptation kit...it had recesses in the adapter that were not fully drilled to clock it as well(10 degrees) but i chose not to do this for now...

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
from what i remember when we did mine... we installed the adapter onto the tranny, BEAT the coupler onto the output, RTV'd between the adapter and the sleeve, greased the seal in the sleeve, then finally installed the t-case (23 spline, no problem sliding it on)
this is exactly what i did..paranoid about the tranny fluid leaking(thanks to OOPS advice over the phone) i was quite generous with the RTV on the out put splines before driving the coupler on

·
Registered
544 Posts
same here, i would dread having to remove the coupler from the tranny output if i ever had to!!!
I've heard they come off fairly easily with a small 2 jaw puller but haven't had to take mine off yet.

Did your kit come with a machined aluminum spacer with a seal in the end? I think this is their seal update which is supposed to stop fluid from transferring from trans to t-case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts