Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
BINGO, so many people buy a JK, put 1 tons under it then do a V8 swap...while I started with the 5 cyl and had to go through the cal legal V8 swap process my buddy and I have been saying the same thing for years. Just buy a Colorado, H3 alpha, V8 4 runner or some other similar late model vehicle with a factory V8. Most end up ripping the JK suspension out anyways.

But then no one waves at you.....:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey guys, I've made a little progress lately. Not as much as I'd like but the transfer case and shifters are in! It was a tight squeeze but no floor pan modifications were required to fit the Atlas.

Thought I'd be slick and flip the console tray so that the shifters only took up one of the compartments. Unfortunately, there is a slight curvature built into the tray that I didn't notice until it was too late. Oh well, one of these days I'll have to source a new tray to fix my screw up.

Took some inspiration from nick89toy's build for the winch mount and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a challenge fitting the winch with the internal solenoids, but I had it on the shelf and couldn't justify the expense of a new one.

I was also able to pull the front axle last night to finish welding. Hoping to have the ARB installed and RCV shafts ordered before Christmas, We'll see..

Sorry for the sideways photos, Still haven't figured out how to rotate them.:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anybody need any of these parts? Everything is in good shape and was gently removed.

Front pumpkin has 4:10 gears and all CVs and unit bearings are tight.

Let me know before I take it to the dump.

Eventually I will part with the matching T-case and rear axle, but I want to make sure I don't need any sensors or actuators first.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The front axle started as a low pinion 3/4 ton driver drop that I found on CL. It was supposedly pulled from a Fed Ex truck in Montana and It had the 55 tooth ABS rings and sensors already on it. It seems to be a bit of a Unicorn since I can't find any info about it when I search the Dana build numbers.

I robbed everything from the knuckles out and had the hubs machined and a spacer made to keep the 3/4 ton brakes but have a 6 lug pattern.

I then cut down the long tube on a ford HP44 driver drop front housing to give me a high pinion passenger drop 3/4 ton D44. I spliced the short side tube on the HP44 to the long tube/knuckle that I cut off the original low pinion housing. This was done using the same machined sleeve method that I used on the rear axle. Sounds a bit convoluted, but it really didn't cost much to do and it gave me big brakes and the ABS sensors I needed.

Both axles were narrowed to 65" and I'm basically copying the JK bracketry and geometry on the front axle.

The radius arms are Metal Cloak JK long arms that I shortened about an inch to work with my cross member.

I'll get some more pics of the hubs this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is looking great!
Thanks! I stole your winch mount design since it looks so clean!

I've actually been able to put some hours into the truck since I had a week off during the holidays.

Built some rock sliders and got the entire front axle buttoned up and back under the truck. Now I just have to weld on the rear spring perches and shock mounts and it should be ready to go.
All except for the 4x4 wiring issues that I need to start researching:confused:. I've been putting that off until the end..

I'll post up some pics shortly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Put together the Foote front shafts with some Yukon joints. I was originally planning on RCVs, but with the custom length charges and 30 spline hub gear they would have been over $2k. Just couldn't justify that in my mind.

Also got the ARB compressor and switches wired up and replaced my shifter console screw up. Top left switch is the compressor and the other 2 are front and rear. I like the low key look of those micro switches, we'll see how they work out.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
And finally, the front ABS tone ring and sensor set up. I can't find any info on the sensor, anybody ever seen one of these before?

Also a final pic of the front axle completely buttoned up.

Now it's time to start on the rear 14 bolt final install.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally got everything buttoned up and was able to put it on the road last month :D!

Spent the last few weekends getting a rear bumper fabbed and installing the ram assist. The bumper ended up being a lot more involved than originally anticipated, but I wanted to make sure it was stout enough to handle a tire carrier and rear rocker protection duties.

Just needs a little prep and some paint and it should be good to go..

Drove it to work this morning. Looks pretty good in the parking lot! As soon as the mud dries out a little I'm anxious to get it off road and see how it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very nice. That’s something to be proud of.

I would second the 45’s on the back bumper corners, but hard to tell from the pics how it looks in person.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looking good!

Have you thought about putting a 45 on the back corners of the bumper?

How much travel do your ORIs have?
Thanks guys!

I mocked up the bumper with both cut and radius corners. In the end I went with the hard corner because it gives me more protection at the bed corners and room for the tire carrier spindle.

Struts are 12" travel.

Bumper is also tied back to the frame at the sides.

It sure is fun being able to drive it around town. Get's lot's of attention from the J**P crowd. Mostly I think their trying to figure out what it is..

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like that bumper mount.

If you get the chance, could you get a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the door? I'm sas'd on 37s, too, and I'd like see how close we are on ride height.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts