Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the 1F wants to become an anchor for Carnival Cruises, and I'm not going to stop it.

If you could please list what all is needed...motor mounts, engine, etc...and where to get them, p/n, and maybe the price if you can...

My dad was saying that for now to keep the price down to find an older carburated v8, but I don't see the major price difference between the two. I've seen lots of $$$ carbed v8s that go for as much as the injected ones, plus you get more with the injection as far as easyer cold weather starting, run at all angles, etc...Need a good fight to put up to make sure its injected...
Hopefully will have this done before summer:D

Joseph

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Uh... if you are worried about "keeping the price down" -- looking at a V8 conversion might not be the best choice. If you LOOK,and aren't in a huge rush, you can usually find a decent used 2F for a song.

For a V8 conversion, it is not a "just bolt in" option. Lots of conversions are just plain messed up. With the number of folks on the list here, I'm sure you could get it installed nicely with the right advice (like which exhaust manifold to use!).

Off the top of my head (pure guessing, but makes a good straw man for everyone else to knock over):

Used 5.7 Vortec: $2000
Adapters, mounts, etc $1500
misc* $ 800

LABOR $2000 -- 40 hours at $50/hour

So for a "basic" swap $6300

Now you start looking at a "used, but good" 2F for $500.... uh... and that price is a basic install. I'm not sure I could do it any cheaper, but also I am sure for a high end proffesional shop $10K is also reasonable for a really nice conversion.

Guess what I would tell my son to do? :D

EDIT: Noticed from other post you have a SM420 tranny... reduces SOME of the cost there if you can get the correct belt housing. Still a good used 2F looks better... :D

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you are not going to tow with it, check ebay under"vortec" and get a 4.3L V-6. Way more power than the F motor, and CHEAP. I have seen low milage 4.3 vortecs go for as little as $600 with 20K miles on them and in perfect shape.

I'd go 4.3, 4l60e and an atlas if I were going to redo my cruiser...

V-8 conversions add up quick!!! - I spent double whatI had initially tallied up as proposed costs.

-Brett

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
These guys are right they are not cheep. I fabed up most everything in my TBI/SM465 conversion except the adaptor. Motor mounts,shifting linkage for the T case/brackets,Fan brackets,tranny crossmember, and lots of other little things. With me doing everything myself I still spent 5,000

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I have about $1000 into mine, and that's not counting the motor which was 2800. I also have not purchased the radiator, and electric fan as of yet. I was in denial about it over heating. I was wrong :D hahaha Time for an aluminum radiator and summit electric fan.

Motor mounts
Hoses
belts
radiator
fan
adapter(s)
shift linkage
throttle linkage
wiring
tranny mounts
battery tray(s) I moved mine under the seat, optima
plugs, wires distributor
carb (q-jet is the ONLY way to go if you're not going injection or ram jet)
Exhaust work (Tex's ram horn/stock chevy exhaust crossover is the shizzznit!)
Drive lines
cross members

blah blah the list goes on and on and on. And I am sure I forgot some major components. Because I forgot plenty of those things when I was adding up how much it was going to cost me. :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
roundrocktom is right, most V8 conversions really add up, but it is possible to do such a conversion and keep the price down. Just because you start with a used, carburated 350 does not mean you can't do a super clean install and make your cruiser (arguably) the coolest it's ever been.

We've done "bare bones" conversions for customers before and here's what you need:

used, complete, 350. Carburated is cheaper by far $200 - $500

adapter to your 3spd (yuck, but works) $150

clutch pack (cover, disk, release bearing, pilot bushing) $200

turn flywheel $25

exhaust manifolds or block hugger headers $100

radiator (I use a 27"X19" griffin or summit from summit racing) $160

hoses, belts, plugs, wires, fluids, and other start up items $200
(these really add up)

exhaust system (my guy charges me $268) $300

gauges $50 and up

Possible driveline mods $200

I do this conversion for less than $1000 labor which includes motor mounts, crossmember, and slave cylinder mount.

Total (and a 4th grader added this) is $2885

You can always spend more if you have it. ( I would start with a tranny swap) But this will get you cruising again for a reasonable sum.

Call me if you have any questions or need help. 970 874 1272

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tranny swap...after we just put that sm420 in...no way in hell:flipoff2:

I just talked to Matt(thelakerat) at WTOR that has done most of the work for me...He thinks he still has the chevy bellhousing for my sm420 so thats good. Also said go pre-vortec because they're alot easyer to install..probably save some $$$ there. Also said Holley has a new digital injection for around $800, and theres no computers so that should help if we found a non-injected engine.
thx

Joseph

·
Registered
195 Posts
dont let all these guys scare you away because it is tottaly worth it I did mine for 800.oo but I found an older guy selling a 55 with everything in it but I priced the stuff and with your 420 in use and as long as you mount the motor in the right spot driveline mods shouldnt be an expence I did my 350sm465and tlc 3 and used stock driveshafts saved alot of money but cost me a heatercore but I got a better heater out of a conversion van for 15.00 and also carbed is alot eazier than injected 1 wire or a 100

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
FJ40Dude75 said:
dont let all these guys scare you away because it is tottaly worth it I did mine for 800.oo but I found an older guy selling a 55 with everything in it but I priced the stuff and with your 420 in use and as long as you mount the motor in the right spot driveline mods shouldnt be an expence I did my 350sm465and tlc 3 and used stock driveshafts saved alot of money but cost me a heatercore but I got a better heater out of a conversion van for 15.00 and also carbed is alot eazier than injected 1 wire or a 100
We are not trying to scare him we are just being realistic. There is nothing better that having your rig sit around half way through a project cause you cant afford to finish it, or half ass it and do a crapy job.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
cruiserbrett said:
Go to pick and pull and get the Taurus/mkIII fan. Lance did a write up in the tech section here
-Brett
Don't have the room for it. Already tried it. :D So electric fan from summit it is. It's actually about a 1.5" thinner than the taurus one.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
USFSIHC said:
We are not trying to scare him we are just being realistic. There is nothing better that having your rig sit around half way through a project cause you cant afford to finish it, or half ass it and do a crapy job.
DING DING DING! Winner! I ain't trying to scare anyone, the V8 is the shiznit, no doubt about it. But no sense in getting in over your head or deeper than your budget will allow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
YES but wasting the money on another damn 6 ain't the right answer either I am not a rich dude but If you keep your eye out you can come across good deals I was this guy last year and I rebuilt my 6 what a waste of 600.00 bucks and then that motor wasn't enough and it started giving me problems so if you wanna play you have to pay there arent any alternatives :flipoff2: :flipoff2:and if you look at his profile you 'll see with the set up he has 350 sure would be sweeeeeeet

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
one thing you might consider is buying a whole 1/2 ton chevy truck pull the motor, tranny, t-case and the axles i did this truck cost $1000 i sold the rest of the parts for $400 :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
chev 350

i found a chevy 350 with 4 speed SM420 done up to the nuts on propane with all the accesories for propane and engine accessories for 800 bucks, beat that, oh yeah only has 40000 km

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
THEY DO ADD UP, BUT I HAVE DONE MINE WAAAAY CHEAP FOR WHATS IN IT. IT HELPS TO HAVE A BRO WHO WILL BUY PARTS FOR YOU WITH HIS DISCOUNT AND REBUILD YOUR MOTOR FOR YA THOUGH ;) IT ALSO TOOK ME A YEAR AND A HALF ACCUMULATING PARTS ON THE CHEAP, JUST HAVE TO LOOK FOR DEALS. THE TWO KILLERS ARE:

THE LITTLE THINGS: THEY REALLY, REALLY DO ADD UP. BELIVE IT, I DIDNT.

THE LITTLE THING YOU DONT HAVE TO DO BUT DO ANYWAY: THE THINGS THAT ARENT NECISSARY TO DOING THE CONVERSION, BUT YOU TELL YOURSELF "IF I'M GONNA DO THIS [WHATEVER YOUR DOING] I SHOULD DO THAT TOO AND MAKE IT QUALITY"

JERAMIAH: WHERE DO YOU GET THESE $50 GUAGES THAT YOU SPEAK OF? I'V BEEN LOOKING FOR A SET OF NICE, BLACK FACE, WHITE NEEDLE, BLACK BEZEL GAUGES FOR CHEAP AND CANT FIND any. EVERYTHING IS EITHER CHROMED OR "STYLISH" OR NOT A COMPLETE SET AVAILIBLE. I ALSO WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE UBOLT YOU HAVE BENT UP, GONNA BE AT YOUR SHOP THIS WEEKEND?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with the set up he has 350 sure would be sweeeeeeet
my point exactly :D

one thing you might consider is buying a whole 1/2 ton chevy truck pull the motor, tranny, t-case and the axles
knew we should have kept our '87 3/4ton suburban:flipoff2:

I think I might have found a 350 sb...very cheap I might add:D
Only thing it needs is a carb...might compare injection kits and carbs later...and the guy and his brother that has it can do the install...gotta like it when your dad works with these kind of people:D
Which carbs do you guys recomend if an injection kit is too much $$$?

Joseph

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
FJ40Dude75 said:
YES but wasting the money on another damn 6 ain't the right answer either I am not a rich dude but If you keep your eye out you can come across good deals I was this guy last year and I rebuilt my 6 what a waste of 600.00 bucks and then that motor wasn't enough and it started giving me problems so if you wanna play you have to pay there arent any alternatives :flipoff2: :flipoff2:and if you look at his profile you 'll see with the set up he has 350 sure would be sweeeeeeet

I agree with not putting a single dollar in to a 1F,or2F the cruiser purests will dissagree but they are just boat anchors. Reliable boat anchors.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It adds up

Did my TBI with another well respected guy on PBB. We planned carefully (we thought) and came up with $3500, all used parts. Four months later and $7800 bucks.... used motor, etc. We used an automatic trans too, that added unforeseen cost.

But, worth every penny and E.R. visit and bitching wife.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts