Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for those who are going to say SEARCH........:flipoff2: Fuck Off cause I already did that...Now for the question....I found several SBC installs, fords and dodges....But I am wanting to try and stuff a 454 into a TJ.. Novak adapters says on their website that it is to big for TJ frame. Has anyone done it or tried it? I really dont want to swap my 454 for a 350 unless I can get maybe an LS1 for it....I am also wanting to stretch the front, so will probably wind up cutting the frame, but dont want to if I can get away with not....I am planning on snatching everything from this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607357

And putting it in a TJ.........

So...what about the 454?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hell, if I wasn't up to my eyebrows with my build, I'd snatch up that rig and wheel it like it is. That is a smoking deal IMO.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
What do they mean by too big. Too long, Too wide, Too heavy? Obviously, if you can bolt a SBC to something, Then you can bolt a BBC to it. The question is, what you are willing to compromise on to get it to swap in? There will likely be interference with the brake booster, the heater box(if left in the vehicle), and almost certainly steering shaft interference. Then there is the weight issue. Seems to me that it would be a bit nose heavy.

You are mucking about in an area that someone might have gone before, but they most certainly didn't get it done by coming onto some forum and asking
"Has anyone done this before, and how did you do it?"

If you want it, it's possible, but you most likely have to figure it out for yourself.

How bad do you want it?

Doug

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is what I was assuming as far as weight issues and overall size interfereing with other objects in the engine bay. I know you dont get it done by comming on a forum and asking, but it does help to maybe see or have an idea of what someone has done before you go blind into something.

Hell, if I wasn't up to my eyebrows with my build, I'd snatch up that rig and wheel it like it is. That is a smoking deal IMO.
I already bought it and have wheeled it......I am just thinking of other avenues of what I may like...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
if you cut that up because you want a different dash ur a fool.... if ya really gotta have a tj body.... how fawkin hard is it to put a shiny new body on that chassis.....

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
It's not hard at all.

I have a full roller BBC in a YJ. 1" body lift clears the high valve covers and everything else stock fits.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
and everyone knows yj's and tj's are the same under the hood :flipoff2:
Heh, the dimensions are about the fawking same. :flipoff2:

Have you worked on both? I have. Have you dropped a BBC into either? I've done both, using the same fawking parts, motor mounts etc..:homer::mr-t:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
oh calm down I was just havin a little fun..... you of all people should be able to take a little ribbing.....
and yes I've worked on both and had a bigblock in a yj but decided to stay with a smallblock

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I guess it would be easier to put the TJ body on this setup....Would just have to relocate the fuel tank.....and move all the body mounts and then wire everything....and modify the shifter locations....hmmm see this is why I posted.....It is always better to have more than one mind working on a project....

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
I guess it would be easier to put the TJ body on this setup....Would just have to relocate the fuel tank.....and move all the body mounts and then wire everything....and modify the shifter locations....hmmm see this is why I posted.....It is always better to have more than one mind working on a project....
You sure about all of that? Re: the TJ body and body mounts, fuel tank etc?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The big question is why would you even want to? Sell the TJ, and wheel the CJ. Or if it's really killing you you could put a TJ grill and hood on the CJ. The cowl area doesn't line up perfectly, but with a little work it has been done before.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is really the interioir that I am shooting for on the TJ...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
what interior..... the dash?? most folks want to get rid of that hunk of plastic... just lose the e-brake pedal for a hand brake or line locks and be proud of your rig as is...... that's a lot of work and money for a roundy car dash

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I am just going to build a buggy not do the TJ...Just have to sell or trade my gun to get a bender...

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts