Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas being super retarded these days at $4. I figure my 4.2L L6 could use replacing with its 12mpg. I figure something with more torque would get better milage.

Which v8 to choose? I was thinking:

5.0L ford with aftermarket long runner intake and upper intake spacer to make the runners a bit longer. We did it on my friend 88GT and he said it made a big difference in torque and milage.

4.8L GM Its one of the most modern v8s out there, plentiful in junkyards. NO body wants them. Should be cheap to get with low miles. The size should be good on gas.

4.6L ford 2v. I have one in my '04 mustang and I like it alot. Might be too much hassle though.

ideas? comments?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Go 'backwards' and start thinking I4. Or Diesel.

I'm dreading the thought of filling my 23 gallon tank with $4.00+ per gallon premium:
can't do gas to diesel conversions in CA.

thats a nice 5.0L ya i speant $69 last fillup on my 20 gal tank but i use 87 octane.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
go to your local DMV and double check. I believe you can do a gas to diesel conversion. I know diesel is more expensive, but people have done swaps and gotten around 28 MPG!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd look into diesel or go 5.0l for simplicity and cost. Pretty sure you can convert to diesel, should double check. people are doing bio-diesel conversions like crazy on the west coast, pretty much same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts