Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
tattoo1825 said:
thanks i picked up my 465 and my 205 today. im going to build around that and if its not low enough then i will use a 203/205 doubler. i appreciate your input

Good choice........;)

If your gonna run yota run the v6 tranny. If it were me I would run a 420, its cheap and efective. I wonder what cost more the chevy to v6 adapter or the 420 to yota case adapter?

But no one makes an t/c adapter for the sm420 to toy t/c right?

Im gonna go with the 5.7L and wanted to go with the 420 but I heard no one makes a t/c adapter. Anyone know if that's true?

Jeff

DRM said:
You know, I keep hearing people say not to do it - but I have yet to really get any evidence of someone destroying a stock 5 speed with a 4.3L or 350 motor.
Not personally but I was talkin to marlin once and he was saying he built this turbo tranny for a guy and he barely got around the block before.. well I think it was him anyway ;)

I've personally seen a W56 go boom with a V8. Quite impressively too, broke the case in half and spit parts out the side :) It resulted from stupidity (~4000rpm clutch dump in second gear) but nevertheless, I would expect an SM420/465 to survive much better.

I have the OTT SM420 adapter and I like it. Only problem I see with Marlin's is the length, or lack of it. With the OTT and dual cases, my rear case is a mere 3" back from stock, with Marlin's I would expect the second case to be in the stock location for the first case since it's ~3" shorter than OTT's. It would save on driveshaft costs but I thought part of the purpose (or at least beneficial side-effect) of dual cases was the longer front driveshaft. With Marlin's adapter and a single case, your front driveshaft would be downright tiny.

I've got first hand experience with v8 /w56 combo, didn't work. Mine went out just going down the road, not even wheeling. T cases have done great, no problems there.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.