Pirate 4x4 banner

V8 With Toy Tranny And Case

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  84runner 
#1 ·
IM BUILDING A FULL TUBE BUGGY AND WAS WANTING TO DO A V8 SWAP. I WAS GOING TO RUN MY TOY TRANNY AND CRAWLER BOX BEHIND IT. I AM GOING TO USE A PROPANE INJECTED 350 AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE RUNS ANYTHING SIMILAR. DO YOU THINK THE TOY STUFF WILL HOLD UP AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE NEW HOW MUCH THE TOY TRANNY TO A 350 ADAPTER COSTS? THANX

#2 ·
Ok. WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?!?

And you know what else; someone is asking THIS SAME EXACT QUESTION ON THE FRONT PAGE! You could just look there and find the answer to your question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Advance Adapters should carry it. From what I've seen most adapters run in the 300-400$ range but thats just a guess. It will probably be better to run a 4 spd or something that was intended to go with that engine, for many reason. So I suggest you: A) TURN CAPS LOCK OFF, ITS NOT COOL OR FUNNY AND MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID B)Search, because this question has been asked a 1000 times and IT WAS EVEN ON THE FRONT PAGE YESTERDAY!! and C)Remove head, from anus. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
OK DO YOU HAVE A LIFE OR DOES YOUR LIFE CONSIST OF REPLYING TO OTHER PEOPLES POSTS WITH USELESS INFO. IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP THEN WHY REPLY. AND IM NOT YELLING MY KEYBOARD HAS A STUCK CAPSLOCK. I THINK YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO TELLING EVERYBODY ON THE FOR SALE SECTION THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BUY EVERYTHING THEY HAVE FOR SALE AND THEN NOT BUY IT!!! YOU HAVE SAID YOU WERE GOING TO BUY ABOUT 8 THINGS I HAVE FOR SALE AND THEN NEVER REPLY AGAIN SO FAWK OFF!!!! AND GET A LIFE

#4 ·
AND TO YOUR DO A SEARCH THIS TOPIC WAS COVERED YESTERDAY. I JUST DID A SEARCH AND ALL I COULD FIND WAS ON A 4.3 SWAP NOT A 350 I GENERALLY DO A SEARCH BUT COULD NOT FIND ANY INFO ON A 350- TOY STUFF THREAD SO IF YOU HAVE INFO IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANX

#5 ·
tattoo1825 said:
OK DO YOU HAVE A LIFE OR DOES YOUR LIFE CONSIST OF REPLYING TO OTHER PEOPLES POSTS WITH USELESS INFO. IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP THEN WHY REPLY. AND IM NOT YELLING MY KEYBOARD HAS A STUCK CAPSLOCK. I THINK YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO TELLING EVERYBODY ON THE FOR SALE SECTION THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BUY EVERYTHING THEY HAVE FOR SALE AND THEN NOT BUY IT!!! YOU HAVE SAID YOU WERE GOING TO BUY ABOUT 8 THINGS I HAVE FOR SALE AND THEN NEVER REPLY AGAIN SO FAWK OFF!!!! AND GET A LIFE
Thats because I communicate more via PM's ;) I ask questions about lots of things before I buy them. Why buy something if you dont know anything about it? Remove your head.

For the question at hand: People wonder about a toy tranny holding up behind a 4.3 V6, so it going behind a V8... I'd be pretty weary, and I think you'll have problems. An R151 or 150 might hold up for a while if you're soft. I think the money spent in replacing trannies would be spent better with getting a stronger manual made for the job. Call Advance Adapters or look on their website to see if you can get an adapter to go from a GOOD gearbox to the toy cases. Those will most likely be fine. They will be better if you upgrade the spline count in them.

#6 ·
I went w/ a 350/TH350/stock 21 spline t-case adapter, purchased from Randy Woods @ adventurous4x4.com and paid $396 to my door.

Quit jizzin' on the keyboard......get a squirt bottle (Goo Gone works wonders) and get the caps lock unstuck:flipoff2:

#8 ·
You know, I keep hearing people say not to do it - but I have yet to really get any evidence of someone destroying a stock 5 speed with a 4.3L or 350 motor.

#10 ·
ROKTOY said:
Granted....you have a point there David....
Jay
So you haven't seen it either? lol

I guess I am just a fan of the nice ratios of the Toy tranny, and with a little more "uumph" in front of it would be even better off road.

All I can recall is one of our users here who has a SERIOUSLY modded turbo Supra motor in a 4Runner who is not afraid to "get on it" when on the street - he has blown up a couple of them if I recall.

Other than that, nothing :confused:

I am more inclined to believe it WOULD work, depending on the driver and his uses ;)

#12 ·
flimmy said:
What would be the weak link in the tranny ? shaft , bearings , gears ?
2nd gear synchro. At least thats the thing that fails in high mile trannies. (like mine) :flipoff2:

DRM: Is that (*I think*) SuperRunner? W/ like 300 HP? The only thing is: His engine probably doesnt have as much torque down low as a 350 V8 would, which is ultimately what breaks stuff. But, yeah, you make a valid point. But I still stick to what I said: He'd be better off spending money on an adapter to go from a good strong beefy tranny to a toy case rather than a 350-->Stock toy tranny, since he will probably get tired of it sometime.

#13 ·
so do you guys like my new keyboard? do you think it would be better to run something like a sm465 with toy crawler box? i was thinking of going with a t350 and a 203/205 doubler but i dont think it would get me low enough. im running 4.56 gears in my axles. do you think the 465 and toy crawler would hold up? thanx again

#14 ·
DRM said:
You know, I keep hearing people say not to do it - but I have yet to really get any evidence of someone destroying a stock 5 speed with a 4.3L or 350 motor.
One bud of mine has broken 3 toy 5 spd trannys with a 22r. 2 of them broke where they only had 4th gear and the third didnt have reverse. Granted all of the breaks were because of hard driving but Id hate to think how easily one would have broken with a v8 or healthy v6 in front of it. ANother bud has had moderately good luck with a toy 5spd behind a stock 302 ford in his 85 runner. I think he has wrung off one tcase input shaft and broken 2 or three transmissions with one of them having reverse ripped out of it. I personally wouldnt put a v8 in front of a toy 5spd but it might work if you have a really light right foot, but then again who wants to have to worry about how much pedal they are using.... I mean you have all of it there its nice to be able to use it if you have to.

#15 ·
tattoo1825 said:
so do you guys like my new keyboard? do you think it would be better to run something like a sm465 with toy crawler box? i was thinking of going with a t350 and a 203/205 doubler but i dont think it would get me low enough. im running 4.56 gears in my axles. do you think the 465 and toy crawler would hold up? thanx again
People have had pretty good luck with Toy boxes holding up to just about anything. 23 spline in the T-case and you'll be ready to rock for a long while. 21 spline will probably do fine for quite a while too.

#16 ·
well I know a girl that had a 83 toyoota mini with a swapped in fairly healthy 350. the toyota tranny held up preety well overall. Then one night she got a little cocky in a parking lot and blew the tranny all apart:). If you really babied is you could live with it I think. Her tranny was just a plane jane carbed tranny. If you just used a v6 trany you would be better off I think.

NOw.... On my new truck I went for 700r4, but she swapped in a 465 with two cases and seems to like it well..

Jeff

#17 ·
DRM said:

A buddy of mine lost 2 toy trannies behind a 4.3 and I lost one with my old truck that had a built buick 231 v6. My buddy now runs a mariln rebuilt r151 with no problems:D

#18 · (Edited)
I wouldn't run a toyota tranny unless you really wanted the 5th gear for the road.

If i wasn't so poor, I would have done a 350/465/toycrawler.

Its a fairly short setup and would have a pretty decent crawl even with relatively higher gears (4.10s or 4.56s).

I see this setup as the best of both worlds. I wouldn't go from chevy engine to toyota tranny because there are alot of specialty parts that aren't avail. when you're on the trail. They're also $$$$$. When doing a drivetrain, i think that its best to use as less specialty parts as possible.

#23 ·
But no one makes an t/c adapter for the sm420 to toy t/c right?

Im gonna go with the 5.7L and wanted to go with the 420 but I heard no one makes a t/c adapter. Anyone know if that's true?

Jeff

#26 ·
DRM said:
Not personally but I was talkin to marlin once and he was saying he built this turbo tranny for a guy and he barely got around the block before.. well I think it was him anyway ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.