Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some advice. Ive got a new 22re from 22re performance, new radiator with new hoses and cap. Not having heating issues, but when the motor cools i have vacuum in the system. My top radiator hose is compressed. I pop the cap off and it releases vacuum and expands to normal. Going to try a new cap tomorrow. What else could be causing this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
cap.

overflow bottle full of shit at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No overflow is clean. Ive popped the hose off between the cap and overflow, i can blow air either direction with ease. Well into radiator with cap off.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Straight water or ?

Are you sure there's no air in the system?

Edit; are you sure it's the right cap for the radiator and that the over flow hose is connected to the vent securely

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
huh, weird.

i guess just toss a spring in the upper radiator hose and enjoy having the opposite problem of most people :laughing:

there just isn't anything else in there and its not exactly a complicated system. heats up, generates some pressure, relieves pressure into overflow bottle, cap should stay open while system is under pressure and should draw fluid from overflow bottle until pressure has dropped and cap has closed again.

how many lbs is the cap, old vs new?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im currently trying a 3rd cap. All are 13lb caps as suggested. I have a new cap ordered from toyota that wont be here till thursday. I picked up 2 from oreily this morning to try. I am running toyota red coolant. Could just be crappy caps from auto stores i guess.
Edit: first cap was what came on the new radiator. Second cap was one i picked up from oreily, currently running motor to try one more cap i picked up from oreily this morning. I know there caps are usally crap. Waiting on the one from toyota.
Im pretty sure theres no aor in the system as well as i bled it pretty thoroughly and on an incline so the cap was higher with heater on.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also overflow is connected securely. I took it off radiator side and can suck coolant through it from overflow. I can take cap off radiator and blow air through overflow hose into radiator so i know there are no blockages

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've seen on large Diesel engines, the t Stat rusted shut and causing a vacuum in the block. It doesn't happen often but check it out.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a new t stat only 2 months old from toyota. But also wouldnt it being stuck shut cause overheating issues? I have no heating or cooling issues. Just that the hose is getting sucked almost flat when the motor cools off. Guess im worried about it prematurely wearing out the hose and getting a leak

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Explain to me how a stuck t-stat can cause "vacuum" in a system?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Explain to me how a stuck t-stat can cause "vacuum" in a system?
Crash like I said I only saw it couple times in 30 yrs and it was in 3406B cat engines. After I changed the t stat it wouldn't suck the top hose down anymore. Just one of those unexplained deals. I have never been able to explain it myself, and still not sure how:shaking: just know it fixed it.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Crash like I said I only saw it couple times in 30 yrs and it was in 3406B cat engines. After I changed the t stat it wouldn't suck the top hose down anymore. Just one of those unexplained deals. I have never been able to explain it myself, and still not sure how:shaking: just know it fixed it.
odd then again I have never worked on any commercial stuff with the cat motors (we have a guy for that,lol)...

·
Premium Member
20,137 Posts
Tstat in wrong way around? But wouldn't it be the lower hose that collapses? Rad outlet?

Get a new overflow hose, the part that is in the overflow tank. If you had serious cooling / head gasket issues you probably have a wobbly, inflated, bloated hose in there.

It is now longer than stock and is pressing againt the bottom of the overflow tank?

And I hope you replaced all the cooling hoses around the intake / under the intake? (Separate from your issue this is a good idea)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes when i did the motor went all new hoses. Coolant and vacuum lines.
Tried a second cap from oreilys and it appears to have fixed it. Bad luck with 2 bad caps i guess

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Yes when i did the motor went all new hoses. Coolant and vacuum lines.
Tried a second cap from oreilys and it appears to have fixed it. Bad luck with 2 bad caps i guess
yup.

glad you got it :beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts