Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2003 Wrangler has air coming from only the defrosters and not the vents, which I understand is absolutely a vacuum line problem. I've spent all day now looking at the vacuum lines and I can't see anything disconnected or broken. I've tried running the engine and listening, but I can't hear anything over the engine. I tried pressurizing the system with an air compressor from the throttle body but I don't hear any of the lines leaking (would the vacuum lines even get pressurized that way? I guess not). I took out the battery and battery mounting plate to follow one of the vacuum lines and I see that it goes into some box that's mounted on the wheel well. Is that a vacuum box? I didn't want to try to open it. I ripped out the trim and pulled the air controls out - all the lines back there look fine.

When I did pressurize the system with an air compressor I heard a slow leak coming from around the throttle sensor. Could that be at all related? Is it normal for it to leak a little? Where should I go from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I've also removed those little white/black check valves and tried blowing in them. Both of them blow air only one way, like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On the back of the intake manifold there is a fitting that a vac. line connects to. It should tee, and one side should go thru the firewall. This is the supply to the interior vents. It is common for the fitting to get plugged with carbon, so ck. that first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the back of the intake manifold there is a fitting that a vac. line connects to. It should tee, and one side should go thru the firewall. This is the supply to the interior vents. It is common for the fitting to get plugged with carbon, so ck. that first.
I've looked at that T connection and the part that goes through the firewall from under the hood. It looks okay from the outside. I can't seem to find it where it comes out on the inside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the lines off the back of the control knob from inside the cab. There was suction there. According to someone on another forum, that means the "blender box" is bad. What the hell is that and where can I get one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I've finally fixed it. After spending all day pulling apart my Wrangler, tracing vacuum lines, pulling out the battery, pressurizing lines, ripping out trim and whatever else I did it turns out the problem was not a faulty vacuum line as I suspected. Nor was it a bad "blend box", which I still haven't identified. No, after tracing the lines from the back of the control knob under the dash, I revealed the problem to be douchebaggery. Yes, yet again I've discovered evidence that the previous owner of my Wrangler was a douche bag. It seems that as he pulled up the carpet under the pedals to install a switch for the fog lights that he never finished hooking up, he must have knocked off one of the vacuum lines, and in his zeal to improperly reinstall the carpet he neglected to reconnect the line. I popped it back on, works fine now. So indeed, if you're experiencing a similar problem with your air, let your first line of inquiry be checking if the previous owner was a giant douche bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts