Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do they hook too? Replaced the cap and rotor today and there was only one vacuum line off the top (the smaller diameter one) that just goes about 3 inches and ends w/ an open end.

The other opening off the top (larger diameter) was just left open without any tubing...

Any pics or descriptions as to where these things should attach to?

Thanks

Oh yeah, it's the newer electronic style, not points

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
vacuum wires off the TOP???? those are called SPARK PLUG WIRES or A COIL WIRE and are vital to the operation of your cruiser...........:flipoff2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
On some cruisers, the vaccum advance line goes over the motor toward the brake booster, or intake. It seems that someone has trimmed your lines a little bit short. Without vacuum advance, you will have a significant loss in power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Macgyver said:
vacuum wires off the TOP???? those are called SPARK PLUG WIRES or A COIL WIRE and are vital to the operation of your cruiser...........:flipoff2:
I was wondering why it was sort of hopping down the road... maybe I should plug in a couple more of those wires :idea:

The vacuum advance, hooked up to the little dealie near the bottom (looks like an EGR valve) is fine, goes over the engine and attaches to the intake like you say...

Maybe just a breather vent I guess? Can't tell what's supposed to be there and what isn't from what the PO did

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
The bigger of the two goes to a fitting on the fire wall about 6" up and straight behind the dist. The other goes to a vac source as said above, but, I don't remember where.
Shouls show in a vac line diagram.
In your manual...

Cory

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks LB

Anyone have any pictures as to where the smaller fitting is to go? The Haynes isn't the most helpful thing in the world

·
Registered
234 Posts
The big one goes to the glovebox.

The little one goes to either a vacuum source on the PCV valve or off of the side of the air cleaner assembly.

The vacuum advance hoses go to the side of the carb (these are the hoses on the diaphram down low on the distro).

I used an 83 distro in my 76 piggy...works great! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
so the little one is supposed to tee into the pcv?? what does that do? I can see how the larger ine is designed to keep out moisture and goo, so maybe its supposed to continually circulate air through the cap? I don't think i have a tee in that line.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The way Whatley explained it to me was it's supposed to keep moisture out that will naturally build up if not vented (I had plugged up both holes). You could look at the firewall end as the "intake" and the vacuum source as what causes the air to suck through the unit. So plub it any way you want but that's how it's supposed to function....

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
willy78FJ40 said:
so maybe its supposed to continually circulate air through the cap?
Bingo. Running a PCV valve isn't that bad an idea. But I think if you plumb it in one way it won't work and the other way will make a very small difference. I would plumb the big end to an air cleaner source, and the other on an intake vaccuum port or something significantly closer to the carb if it were me. Can't remember what I did. Also, didn't get a chance to install the HEI yet. Busy busy busy. And it snowed... ...a lot!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Had to figure this out myself when I put an 80's electronic ignition in my '76. Others are correct: Big line to atmosphere, little line to vacuum source.... any vacuum source. I put a fitting on the aircleaner.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So cutting down the line to the diaphragm on the bottom of the distributor (vacuum advance) and plumbing in a line to the small diameter inlet on teh top of the distributor should be fine then...

·
Registered
363 Posts
So cutting down the line to the diaphragm on the bottom of the distributor (vacuum advance) and plumbing in a line to the small diameter inlet on teh top of the distributor should be fine then...
NO.
The vacuum source should be a carbed vacuum source. By plumbing into the manifold vacuum that operates the advance you will just be creating a vacuum leak. Remember, the other hose to the distributor cap is open to the atmosphere. The best solution is to do as Screwzer did and put a fitting on the air cleaner.

·
Registered
363 Posts
before the filter or after or no difference?
It doesn't really make a difference. All you want to do is create a slight negative pressure inside the distributor cap so that dry air is drawn in from the large hose on the cap (run to the cab with a small gas filter on the end) and moist air is drawn out through the vacuum hose.
I tack welded a fitting to the top cover of the air cleaner assembly. You know, that triangular shaped portion that sits above the air filter.
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow when I get to work...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I did exactly as Rustycruiser did on the 76 by adding a fitting. Mine was down on the body of the aircleaner though as I was trying to minimize the spegetti attached to the lid of the air cleaner.

Hope this puts to rest, once and for all, the mystery of distributor nipples.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts