Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, in their infinite wisdom, Someone thought it would be cool to glue on my metal valve stem caps. In attempting to remove them, I broke off the end of one of the stems in my alloy wheel. These stems are metal also. The vehicle is a toy 4runner and the valve stem appears to thead into the wheel directly. Does anyone know if this is so and they are in fact replaceable? The stems have a hex end on them that would lead me to think that they must be designed to be replaced and the hex end is still on the one that broke. Any help would be great.

EDIT : it is a 2004 4runner with the 17" alloys if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Does your vehicle have the tire pressure monitoring system that was available in '04? If so, the only place to get the valve stem is at the dealership, as it has the pressure sensor built into the backside of it. They'll have to install it too, as it has to be programmed into the tire pressure ECU as well.

PM me if you need additional help...I deal with this all the time at work. I'm a Toyota Tech here in Albuquerque...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Those stems are the transmitters for the tire pressure monitor system:barf: . Last time I checked they are over $100 a piece and have to be reintialized by a Toyota dealerships Diagnostic Scan tool after they are installed. You can use a regular old valve stem but your tire pressure warning light will always be illuminated.:shaking:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize it was not wisdom and that I probably pissed someone off. I am a high school teacher so it is a real possibility. What I don't know is if the caps were glued on when I bought the vehicle or if they got that way while I owned it since I bought it used.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
When was the last time you checked your tire pressure? It happened between then and now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
just put regular stems in and cut the wire or take out the bulb for the light, ive never had a vehicle with that light, and never had a problem with low tire pressure and not know it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I am thinking of doing if they are in fact 100 bucks. I just want to be sure the stem does not thread into the wheel because it looks like it might.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so here's the update. Called Toyota - they actually want 172.00 for the valve stem/sensor assembly. That is not going to work for me. So, I called my buddy at the machine shop, and he said that they could either re-taper and tap the stem so the core sits lower or mill a piece that would extend the stem by what broke off. either will work, and he said they can do it for like 25 bucks. That sounds a little better. I will update further if and when this goes down.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Pm me the part number you got from Toyota...I may be able to hook you up with a pretty good deal on the sensor. Same goes for anyone else who needs one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats very common in this area. All the metal caps seize onto the sensor. This seems to only be the problem in the northeast. Dont use any tools to remove the caps, the metal is weak and will get squeezed together. Use rust penetrating oil to loosen the caps and replace them with the plastic caps. Those will not have any problems rusting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts