Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 4Runner with a 22RE. I bought it because it had a bad timing chain and 2 flat lobes on the cam. When the engine runs it makes a loud "my rocker arms are WAY out of adjustment" noise. I replaced the timing chain and put in a low mile cam and rocker arm assembly, and the noise still persists. I lashed the valves several times, properly, trying tighter and more loose. My only thought is that those 2 valves are sticking, but I have never gotten into them. Please help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would think that if the valves were adjusted real bad before, it may have been enough to mess up the springs, but that is just a thought. The valve sticking thing is a good idea too. I think it is somewhat assumed that all 22R's and E's have a little bit of a "out of adjustment" sound even when adjusted right...i heard that somewhere....sorry im not any more of a help.
Oh, sometimes a leak in the emission tubes running across the top of the exhaust manifold sound like that....just a thought

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had same problem til I swapped in new valve adjuster screws. The tips were beat to chit on my old ones.

All cost 30 bucks from dealer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Check to make sure all the plugs are firing (plug, wire).

I just replaced my 22R that had a foreign object in #3, was making a noise like a pop corn popper. Could have been part of a spark plug. Tore up the head and piston and jug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts